PDA

View Full Version : Fake Davis & Sanford Tripod?

George
04-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi, I'm hoping that you good folks can help me with this question. My son just purchased a vintage "Davis & Sanford Compac 11 CG Tripod With BB Head" from a photographic supplies seller on eBay.

Upon inspecting the tripod and head.....We could not find one, single label or marking that would identify either as Davis & Sanford products. Granted, this is an old tripod...but shouldn't there be some manufacturer's mark...somewhere...that would confirm the make?

There are also 2 small holes drilled besides each and every screw/nut on the head- with several small drill holes on the body also. There are a lot of indications that work, of some kind, has been done on this tripod/head combination. Would this even be necessary if the head were of the same brand and manufactured for that brand tripod? If they're both Davis & Sanford.....why the need for so many drill holes everywhere?

Bottom line.....I'm wondering if my son got ripped off or not. How do we know if what he purchased is a genuine Davis & Sanford Tripod and Tripod Head?

Thank you very much,
George

Jason Schneider
04-27-2009, 08:31 AM
It is entirely possible that what your son purchased on eBay is a genuine David & Sanford tripod and head, but we cannot be absolutely sure from your description. All David &Sanford tripods sold by Tiffen are clearly marked, but those over 17 years old (before Tiffen acquired the brand) may not have labels. Apparently the tripod was reworked and possibly repainted by whoever owned it. The extra screw holes you describe are definitely not standard, and we can only conjecture as to why they were drilled, but this is commonly done to mount a non-standard accessory or to adapt the tripod for some specialized use. Incidentally, the CG-series tripod is still in production, but the BB head is not. If you feel that the seller's description was inadequate or misleading, we suggest you contact the seller and try to return it. In any case, we wish you the best of luck.

Huxlay
08-19-2010, 06:01 AM
This Mini Traveler Tripod is a great choice when an ultra compact tripod is needed. This tripod compacts down to 10.5" and has an ultra light construction that allows you to take it anywhere. The 8 section legs extend quickly and takes this up to a height of 39". The included ball head gives great adjustment for the perfect shots

Jason Schneider
08-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Dear Huxlay, We're delighted to hear that you're so pleased with your Mini Traveler Tripod and we agree it's a great choice in an ultra-lightweight tripod for cameras weighing up to 2-1/2 pounds. According to the official specs, it folds to 10.75 inches and extends to a maximum height of 39-1/2 inches. Good luck, and great shooting!--JS