PDA

View Full Version : F3X rugged wear

dafiryde
09-24-2009, 10:03 PM
finally took the plunge and ordered one today, should get it before next week end, some questions though
- how often do you have to reaply the wax
- does the wax have a specified drying time
- would it mark on white clothing
- is the rugged wear more waterproof than the regular canvas bags
- does it have the rings on the backside of the bag

Dave

Aero
09-26-2009, 10:24 PM
finally took the plunge and ordered one today, should get it before next week end, some questions though
- how often do you have to reaply the wax
- does the wax have a specified drying time
- would it mark on white clothing
- is the rugged wear more waterproof than the regular canvas bags
- does it have the rings on the backside of the bag

Dave

I have the F-3x, I might be able to answer some of the q's

1. I think you only need to apply the wax to repair it (major scratch).
2. Can't answer this since I haven't applied one yet, but a vid on youtube shows that it dries up really quick with a hairdryer
3. I don't carry it for long periods of time but it hasn't leave any mark, yet. I tried to smudge it on a white shirt that I have and it only left a feint transparent waxy feel to it, nothing major.
4. Mine has the metal O ring at the back side.

dafiryde
09-27-2009, 12:41 AM
I have the F-3x, I might be able to answer some of the q's

1. I think you only need to apply the wax to repair it (major scratch).
2. Can't answer this since I haven't applied one yet, but a vid on youtube shows that it dries up really quick with a hairdryer
3. I don't carry it for long periods of time but it hasn't leave any mark, yet. I tried to smudge it on a white shirt that I have and it only left a feint transparent waxy feel to it, nothing major.
4. Mine has the metal O ring at the back side.

Thanks, one more ques
How does the colour look

Dave

Aero
09-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks, one more ques
How does the colour look

Dave

The color is dark brown, its darker than the domke chocolate colored bag. I would say the color is similar to a dark brown leather.

dafiryde
09-27-2009, 11:05 AM
The color is dark brown, its darker than the domke chocolate colored bag. I would say the color is similar to a dark brown leather.

sounds goog so far

Dave

Andrea
09-28-2009, 02:29 PM
You apply the wax and then put a hair dryer to it. That melts the was to the bag. It drys almost immediately. I have been carrying one for about 8 months and haven't reapplied. I saw a bag that's been used for years without ever applying new wax, it looked almost leathery. And yes, it is actually more weather proof then canvas.

dafiryde
09-28-2009, 07:22 PM
You apply the wax and then put a hair dryer to it. That melts the was to the bag. It drys almost immediately. I have been carrying one for about 8 months and haven't reapplied. I saw a bag that's been used for years without ever applying new wax, it looked almost leathery. And yes, it is actually more weather proof then canvas.

sounds even better
just got word that my bag reached miami, so should get it on wednesday

Dave

saschagabor
09-30-2009, 04:39 AM
I´ll order one my self in a couple of days, looking forward to it! Hope you´ll write down your thoughts about it and hopefully post some photos. Enjoy your new Domke!

saschagabor
10-04-2009, 02:44 AM
Let´s hope I don´t have to wait to long, because now I´ve ordered my first non-Olive Domke! I must say that I´m looking forward to the day it arrives :) Will the RuggedWear really be as nice as I imagine?

I also ordered F-3x in Chocolate for my woman. Her Chocolate F-5xb is too small to both act as a camera bag AND a purse...

dafiryde
10-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Let´s hope I don´t have to wait to long, because now I´ve ordered my first non-Olive Domke! I must say that I´m looking forward to the day it arrives :) Will the RuggedWear really be as nice as I imagine?

I also ordered F-3x in Chocolate for my woman. Her Chocolate F-5xb is too small to both act as a camera bag AND a purse...

if you like a leathery look, then you will love this one

Dave

saschagabor
10-04-2009, 12:31 PM
I´m not worried about the look, it´s the feel I´m more anxious about... Not that I have problems with dust with my current canvas bags, but I imagine the wax will reduce this issue? I hardly use white clothes, so rubbing should not be an issue either.

Now that I´ve ordered I´m extra exited, I hate waiting! There should be some kind of teleport for shipping goods, for instant delivery :o

dafiryde
10-04-2009, 12:56 PM
I´m not worried about the look, it´s the feel I´m more anxious about... Not that I have problems with dust with my current canvas bags, but I imagine the wax will reduce this issue? I hardly use white clothes, so rubbing should not be an issue either.

Now that I´ve ordered I´m extra exited, I hate waiting! There should be some kind of teleport for shipping goods, for instant delivery :o

i know what you mean, but its worth the wait
and as for the feel, it acutually feels like a high quality leather

Dave

Jim Domke
10-06-2009, 10:21 AM
I like the cotton because it swells when wet, the camera is protected. Better than nylon where if there is a hole (seam, for example) the water can leak in. If it starts to rain you can quickly hide the camer inside the bag and the canvas will lift any drops off the surface of the camera. Neat. With nylon the water sits there and can get inside the electronic camera.

The "wax" treatment goes back to early waterproof to keep canvas from soaking up water, especially good if you set the bag down on wet grass.

The water-proofing is done during dying and is imbedded into the fabric. Anything you do after simply sits on the surface.

Don't worry about waterproofing! I like the color! It's darker than sand/tan, but I can still see what's inside.

dafiryde
10-06-2009, 02:39 PM
i remember as a kid, at the begining of every wet season my dad use to apply parafin wax to the roof of his car which was back then made out of canvas, and it stood up very well, this is why i knew you were going in a great direction by treating your rugged wear with the same process.
as for how much wetting it can take, i never have and dont think i want to stand up in rain to take a picture anyway.
one addition i made to the bag was to add an all weather cover from a old lowepro minimag AW, it fits the F3X like a glove, and i just fold it and it stores neatly below the camera, and technically gives the camera some more cushioning :D

All in all i am a very satisfied customer with this purchase, it took many bags, pleanty reading, months of research, what i want in a bag, how it should be configured, and it all boiled down to what the F3X has to offer.

on a recent conversation i had with a fellow photographer, he told me Dome bags are no good, so i asked him WHY?
he responded that Domke bags have no padding.
i responded
you recently bought a BMW X5 and i dont see any bubble wrap around it, you smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day, i know for a fact you dont eat any thing for breakfast, and you dis about a bag that has no padding!!!!!!!

by the way does the backpack harness fit the F3X?

Dave