PDA

View Full Version : Canon 600d and Merlin steadicam set-up

adamph79
03-03-2012, 08:07 PM
I recently got a Merlin steadicam and after several hours I have given up trying to balance the camera. The Merlin cookbook stats for this camera seem wrong. For starters they have the weight listed at 580g, I weighted mine at 774g (18-55mm lens). I am desperate for help with the settings. Can someone direct me to the correct settings for this camera

stevesf
03-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Sorry Buudy.
Even I'm also in need of it. If u found the method how make changes then please let me also know by posting here.
How ever Thanks for posting Query!

adamph79
03-11-2012, 05:23 AM
Sent tiffen tech support an email nearly a week and a half ago about the issue....Am yet to hear from them? Are they usually that slack at responding?

Jason Schneider
03-11-2012, 07:24 AM
There is a tab on the Merlin Cookbook that allows you to access user-created settings for various camera/lens combinations. These are based on actual use and often provide a helpful guide in situations where the recommended weights and set-up instructions are problematic. In the meantime, I have referred your posting to a top tech at Steadicam who will actually test your camera/lens combo on the Merlin and get back to me with hard data on what works. As soon as we receive this information we will post it immediately. We're sorry that we could not provide a quick and definitive answer for you, but we have been working on it ever since you posted the problem on the forum. I am confident we will resolve this shortly, and we appreciate your patience. Best regards, Jason Schneider

adamph79
03-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Thanks for your reply Jason, I hope you have better luck than I do. I used the Merlin cookbook guide and the camera sways badly (using the "user" settings posted up there). I am looking forward to your response and the info

Jon
03-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Adam, I'm going to guess that the weight in the "cookbook" is the weight of the body+battery, but not the lens. Canon specs the 600D as 515g, body only (no battery). You'd need to add the weight of whichever lens you're using to the body weight. Another thing to take note of is that the table you're looking at is the user-supplied data table, not the Steadicam "official" table. You might try using the T2i settings in that table for a starter; the first table entry is for the T2i with 18-55, and the T2i body's maybe 50 g less than the T3i, so you'll be fairly close as far as weight and CG.

adamph79
03-14-2012, 06:17 AM
Tried those settings and they camera sways to much left and right. I've tried trimming, weight changes, arc changes etc and I cannot get this camera to sit right. I have seen videos on the net of people using the camera and a merlin perfectly with no sway....but there is zero info on the exact settings

Jason Schneider
03-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Please e-mail me with your direct line telephone number at popeditor@hotmail.com and I will have a Steadicam expert give you a call to help you get better results. Thanks, and best regards, Jason

PeterAbraham
03-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Hi Adamph,

Glad to work with you on this. Please email me directly at: pabraham@tiffen.com .

I've been a Steadicam Operator for 26 years and am well-versed in the ins and outs of Merlin. We can work this out with a good conversation !

Best,
Peter

Peter Abraham
Director of Technical Services, Steadicam®
GM, Steadicam Workshops Program

adamph79
03-16-2012, 06:09 AM
Thanks Peter, I have sent an email your way:)

adamph79
03-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Hi again,

Have sent you both (Peter and Jason) and email about my issue. Hope you guys can help. Hope to hear back soon as I am still without success.

PeterAbraham
03-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Hi Adam
Glad to help, I've emailed you my contact info.

For all Merlin users, it is a good rule of thumb to remember that even if you find the exact combination of camera, lens, battery, Tiffen filter and accessories, the Merlin settings may be slightly different from user to user.

It is in the very nature of all Steadicam systems that the final touches, the final perfect balance points, are literally thouasandths of an inch away from not quite being in balance. It is a precision instrument and must be balanced by following the directions shown on the DVD and in the manual. Those guidelines are invaluable, since they apply to any mass between .5 lbs and 5 lbs.

The exact branding and combination of elements frequently saves a few steps, but having a very firm grasp of what to do to balance a Merlin with ANY camera set-up will always stand the Operator in good stead.

Best,
Peter

Alfonsoiner
03-30-2012, 01:11 AM
There is a tab on Merlin cookbook where access to the arrangements made ​​by the user for different camera / lens offers. They are based on actual use and often a useful guide in situations where weight is recommended and setup instructions are problematic. In the meantime I have called for the technician to do the real test of the Steadicam camera / lens combo you on the Merlin and back to me with concrete data on what works. Once we receive this information we will publish shortly. Unfortunately we can not ensure a quick and definitive answer for you, we are doing because you are aware of the problem on the forum. I am sure that it was soon fixed, and we appreciate your patience. :mad:

HP Coupons (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120321232656AAMK0KI)

adamph79
04-07-2012, 05:44 AM
Any luck with working out the settings?

adamph79
04-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Any luck with the settings guys?????? I am yet to hear anything back for ages??????

adamph79
04-23-2012, 06:53 AM
So much for the "we've got people working on it" its been ages and I haven't heard anything??????Not happy!!!!!!

adamph79
05-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Whats with all the spamming on these forums???? I am actually quite upset at the lack of communication with regards to my issue. I was told that people where working on my issue again and again. No reply, I sent emails when I was asked to, no replies.

Its upsetting to invest so much money into a product and when you asked for help you get no assistance whatsoever. It would have to be the poorest customer service I have ever seen from a major company.

I work for a major electronics retailer and if I had taken this long or given the consumer the run around I would be in hot water.

Need to pick up your game guys or better yet actually help your consumers in a more timely fashion.

PeterAbraham
05-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Adam,
I did indeed email you asking for you to set up a time with me to talk. It doesn't matter where on the planet you are, I can Skype call and do Merlin support visually that way.
Fair to say that with dozens of cameras, hundreds of lenses, hundreds of lens mounts, brackets, lights, audio kits and accessories, there are quite literally tens of millions of iterations of balance combinations for the Merlin.

There is one that will be right for the kit you are building. Again, email me so we can arrange to schedule a Skype conference call. We have a positive and supportive approach to every Tiffen Steadicam product we make and sell and I look forward to working with you to get to you to the point where you can fly the Merlin with your kit and get the shots you are trying to get.

Best,
Peter

Peter Abraham
Director of Technical Services, Steadicam®
GM, Steadicam Workshops Program
The Tiffen Company
90 Oser Avenue, Hauppauge NY 11788

(917) 453-1219 Office / (845) 595-2270 Fax
pabraham @ tiffen.com

gdpetty
05-26-2012, 01:54 PM
The Canon T3i doesn't have a locating pin hole. How can the Merlin be used on it?