PDA

View Full Version : Waxwear

Hmmmmmm
04-13-2012, 08:06 AM
So I'm looking at getting my first Domke bag (waxwear type f-803). I keep hearing that the wax can come off onto your clothes/gear. Is this only because there's guys out there putting a boat load of wax on the bag and not working it in? I'm looking for a store that carries them in my area so I can check them out, haven't found any yet (live in Toronto), so I was just wondering before I order it online.

Farff
04-19-2012, 03:25 PM
I, too, have wondered about this. My three Domke bags are all classic canvas. Anyone have experience to relate?

radeski
04-19-2012, 04:39 PM
I recently purchased the RuggedWear F-5XB bag and I did have a lot of problems with the wax residue being left on my clothes and hands just from handling the bag. I contacted Tiffen directly and had it exchanged for a non-wax model.

Unfortunately the sand coloured one I received does not have the rustic "good-old domke" look. In fact, having been a Domke bag owner for a long time, I find the new colour quite unappealing. I don't want to sell it as I will surely lose money on the deal, so I'll try to age it by perhaps dying it myself -- apparently other owners had some luck with this.

Farff
04-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Unfortunately the sand coloured one I received does not have the rustic "good-old domke" look. In fact, having been a Domke bag owner for a long time, I find the new colour quite unappealing. I don't want to sell it as I will surely lose money on the deal, so I'll try to age it by perhaps dying it myself -- apparently other owners had some luck with this.

I'm also not a fan of the new "sand" color. I liked the lighter color with the tan piping, myself. I think that has been discontinued.

I do like the olive bags. My F-6 is fading nicely (took 11 years) so my much newer F-2 has a long way to fade, yet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67694160@N00/3529295827/

dlapsia
11-01-2012, 03:36 AM
I recently had the Domke F-6 Shipped to me by my cousin from the US.
I'm in India. I too have the same problem of the wax rubbing off on handling. Its really really annoying. I've sent an email to the Asia Pacific Domke Office but they're yet to reply.
And I doubt my chances of them exchanging it being that i'm in India.
Does anyone know any solutions where I could get the wax off?
I've tried keeping it out to dry in the sun for a couple of hours and all of that but that's not really helping.

Jon
11-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Well, the problem is that wax doesn't harden under sun and heat, it softens. You'll just have to let it turn your clothes into "waxwear" as well, until it's reasonably worn down. Or leave it as shelfware for a very long time.