PDA

View Full Version : Would a shoulder bag work?

froggi
01-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Hi,

I'm currently looking for an additional bag which i can use when i want to bring minimal gear with me. I've basically narrowed it down to:

F-5XB &
F-5XC

For minimal gear, i'd be taking a Nikon d700 + Mb-d10 (battery grip) + 24-70mm lens (all attached together), possible a sb-900 in a different compartment. Would either of these bags be able to carry the mentioned equipment?

Thanks in advance,
Froggi.

Jon
01-07-2010, 07:54 AM
IMO the grip's going to be the deal-breaker there. You could keep the gripped body and separate lens in the F5XC; in order to accommodate the lens in the F5XB, the body would have to go in one end with the attached lens reaching across the length of the bag. The grip would make the body too wide for the bag. You'd see the same issue with the F5XC and body with attached grip and lens; although the assemblage would fit vertically, the grip would bulge the bag too much.

You might look at the somewhat larger (mainly deeper) F3x or F6 bags.

Jim Domke
01-22-2010, 09:55 AM
I like the suggestion to get the FX-3, this is a bigger bag, but it doesn't mean you have to fill it up. It has room for cellphone, maps, paperback and other gear. The advantage would be that there is room to add a flash, or another lens if needed.

froggi
01-30-2010, 12:46 AM
thanks for the input guys... i'll check out the f-3x out, the only problem is there isn't any physical store which stock domke bags in melbourne, australia, so i'll have to go by the dimension and picture i can find on the net.

2mnycars
01-30-2010, 07:45 PM
There's a predominently Canon forum called photography-on-the-net.

I saw a bunch of photos of Domke bags loaded and it helped keep me interested.

Hope this helps.

Can't post a link because I'm too new here.

DaveL

Jon
01-31-2010, 03:30 PM
There's a predominently Canon forum called photography-on-the-net.

I saw a bunch of photos of Domke bags loaded and it helped keep me interested.

Hope this helps.

Can't post a link because I'm too new here.

DaveL
That'd be POTN (http://photography-on-the.net/forum). Odds are good you've seen one or more of mine there. I don't recall if I've posted any with a gripped body or my 1D3 in the F3x though.

2mnycars
01-31-2010, 08:02 PM
is my bag.

I have no trouble with my kit:

d80 + grip
18-200 VR
70-300 VR
50/1.4 AF pre D

Room for SB600, cell phone and other things.

Hope this helps.

Oh, my g11 fits very well in an outside pocket so that it's always handy.

Jon, I know I've seen your posts there. I've posted as 2mnycars on that forum, and confess to being a bagaholic (until I got my Domke!)

DaveL

Toronto

Andrea
02-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Hi Froggi,
We are working on distributon in Australia now. Hopefully we will have something for you to touch and feel in the next few months.

Andrea

sabesh
02-13-2010, 12:55 AM
F-3X is an excellent choice, as others have mentioned.

froggi
02-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Hi,

Again thanks for the input! After reading some reviews, i've noticed that the f-3x doesn't seem to have very thick padding inside the bag to stop the equipment inside from bumping into each other, is that correct?

Andrea
02-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi froggi,
The F-3x has very little padding, it does have dividers that separate all the equipment from one another. What stops the equipment from bumping into each other is that it's all tight and snug because it doesn't have padding and therefore can't bump.
Andrea

froggi
02-17-2010, 12:20 AM
hi andrea,

humm i see, what about bumps from the outside environment?

Andrea
02-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Hi Froggi,
I completely understand your concerns. I think most people have them when they first look at a Domke bag. I've dragged mine all around the world, as have many professional photographers (it's well know as a photojournalists bag), and never had any problems. It just works, ask around, read about them. We sell on Amazon and they seem to get a good amount of reviews, take a look. I promise you we do not put any of those reviews up.
Andrea

dafiryde
02-17-2010, 07:01 PM
hi andrea,

humm i see, what about bumps from the outside environment?

you would be supprised that subconciously when your bag is about to take an external hit you some how place your hand in front of it with out even realising it.
it falls under parental instincts :)
take it from me, the more expensive your gear is, the more you will protect it, even if it was in a plastic bag.

Dave
T&T

Jon
02-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Don't forget all the outside pockets (if they're like mine) contain "buffer" material, like filter packs, card carriers, lens tissue, flash units, pens, paper, screwdrivers, . . . that will dissipate any impact.

dafiryde
02-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Don't forget all the outside pockets (if they're like mine) contain "buffer" material, like filter packs, card carriers, lens tissue, flash units, pens, paper, screwdrivers, . . . that will dissipate any impact.

well put
i too load the side pockets and front pocket with all the stuff that i dont mind taking a hit, knowing they will absorb some impact .
just be creative, you would be supprised how much stuff you normally pack in a very well paded bag.
rocket blower
wallet
hand kercheif
cleaning cloths
neck strap
writing pad

in shoulder bags, 99% of the times they take an external hit, its on the side that is facing foward, so there , put the rocket blower.
on the front of the bag, you hand is always there.
at the rear of the bag, choose from above

Dave
T&T

Arnaud
02-21-2010, 04:17 AM
Following my experience, gears are more vulnerable outside the bag than inside, whatever the padded is. All the hits and scratches I get happen when I am working, never when the gears are stored.