PDA

View Full Version : [Official Thread] Inserts for Domke Bags

Henrick
02-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Hi everybody ;)

There are every once in a while questions about inserts for Domke bags, so to gather all the informations in one place, I decided to create one big thread.

If you have questions, feedbacks, pictures or whatever, you're in the right place :D

I just ordered a ciesta insert for my F3X, I'll do a full review when I'll receive it.

Henrick
02-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Here is the on the ciesta insert I ordered: http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=176663796

Right now it's still "on request"...

sabesh
02-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Excellent! Looking forward to inserts discussions here. Here's the one I ordered:

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=167401587

Henrick
02-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Well, the korean seller on gmarket cancelled my order, looks like I'm back to square one :(

sabesh
02-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Well, the korean seller on gmarket cancelled my order, looks like I'm back to square one :(

Man, that sux. I sent an email to the seller and copied to Gmarket asking for a tracking #, but no reply. I'll update here if I hear anything. Cheers.

Henrick
02-16-2010, 04:52 AM
It's really too bad that these inserts are not available on ebay... with all the good the sellers from HK or China it would be a lot easier for us...

sabesh
02-16-2010, 07:19 AM
It's really too bad that these inserts are not available on ebay... with all the good the sellers from HK or China it would be a lot easier for us...

I agree. eBay would be much easier to deal with. BTW, my insert shipped out today. It appears that the seller ships to gMarket, then gMarket ships out to the buyer: A cumbersome process, but they must have a reason for it. So, purchased on the 8th, shipped out on the 16th. Now the last phase of the waiting game begins, lol.

Henrick
02-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Good, I hope you'll get it soon ;)

Andrea
02-16-2010, 01:20 PM
It seems there are some people who would like an insert that fits the entire bag and has movable dividers. Would anybody like to give some feedback? Which bags and what would the divider configuration be?

Thanks,
Andrea

sabesh
02-16-2010, 01:42 PM
It seems there are some people who would like an insert that fits the entire bag and has movable dividers. Would anybody like to give some feedback? Which bags and what would the divider configuration be?

Thanks,
Andrea

The F-2 was designed for the film camera era. It's a good bag, no doubt, but a different insert maybe in order. I currently use this configuration:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=9593475&postcount=46

If you expand that thread beyond my posts, you will see that a lot of F-2 owners don't use the standard insert at all. They opt for the slim, 3-compartment insert: I have tried this myself and found it cumbersome. However, it's the easiest way to carry a DSLR with a 70-200/F2.8 lens attached:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=665248&page=2

I tried out the 720-250D but wasn't satisfied with it as the dividers aren't very flexible with regards to re-positioning. The Korean version seems interesting (720-250K). I have ordered one and will provide feedback once I receive it:

http://harley-style.com/zboard/view.php?id=guest_gallery&page=1&sn1=on&divpage=1&sn=on&ss=off&sc=off&keyword=%C7%CF%B8%AE~&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=280

The large version of the Ciesta flexible partition will be useful for those who switch between the F-2 and F1-X depending on the situation:

http://ciesta.co.kr/inc/Flexible_Partition.inc

Hence, inserts of those sorts from Domke will certainly help.

Cheers,

Sabesh.

Henrick
02-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Thanks,
Andrea
For my F3X and my configuration, the 720-2JM or the 720-245W would be perfect inserts. The thing is, to me, the Domke insert are kind of expensive if you compare it to the price of a bag... I mean, a F3X costs 100$ and a 720-2JM costs 40$, almost half the price of the bag :rolleyes:

I would love to get a Domke insert, but with the prices... well, I'm looking seriously at the asian manufacturers unfortunately...

Anyway, thank you for paying attention to the needs of the customers Andrea ;)

Glenn
02-17-2010, 12:16 PM

Thanks,
Andrea

Hi Andrea,

I would expect that a digital camera insert for the F6 would be a good bet. I think the size is perfect for someboy wanting to carry a body with lens attached and maybe one/two other lenses. The F2 bag is great but for someone carrying a minimum amount with them, it's too big.

I love the F6 bag that I have but I really would like some additional padding/protection.

Glenn

Henrick
02-18-2010, 09:31 AM
I found a used Domke 720-246 insert for cheap, I'll post some pictures with the F3X when I'll receive it...

sabesh
02-18-2010, 06:52 PM
I found a used Domke 720-246 insert for cheap, I'll post some pictures with the F3X when I'll receive it...

Henrick, I located an eBay merchant who sells Ciesta products out of Korea. However, he doesn't have the insert listed. I messaged him and he responded by setting up an auction for me (Ciesta flexible partition - large). I bought that (USD $42 inc. shipping) and just got a tracking #. If you are still interested, you can message him (eBay merchant "pricejin"). Cheers.

PS> Lo & behold, another vendor has listed the medium Ciesta insert. However, he/she doesn't have feedback. Item #: 110496246703.

Henrick
02-19-2010, 03:43 AM
Thanks!

I can't see the item I have this message "Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay."

I keep the name of your seller and if the Domke insert isn't what I'm expecting, I'll contact him ;)

You didn't already order an insert on gmarket?

Arnaud
02-21-2010, 04:20 AM
I am very interested by the 720-250. But am unable to find it at good conditions. I have a friend near LA, any chance to pick one there ?

Henrick
02-25-2010, 08:05 AM
I just got my 720-240 insert. I modified it a little bit to hold my standard configuration, which is a D300 + lens mounted + 1 other lens. Fits perfectly for me :rolleyes:

Here it is, in the F3X: http://nsa13.casimages.com/img/2010/02/25/100225030202569182.jpg

sabesh
02-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Henrick,

That looks pretty neat! I put up a mini review of both my new inserts here:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=833069

Cheers,

Sabesh.

Arnaud
02-27-2010, 01:38 AM
Interesting !
Andrea, why not a seller option with Paypal payment on your site ?

Henrick
02-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Henrick,

That looks pretty neat! I put up a mini review of both my new inserts here:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=833069

Cheers,

Sabesh.
The ciesta looks really good! too bad the seller cancelled my order...

Interesting !
Andrea, why not a seller option with Paypal payment on your site ?
Yes, great idea Arnaud, an official Domke online store :cool:

steastu
03-10-2010, 02:31 AM
I can't quite figure out if the DSLR insert will fit inside my F2 together with the original insert or if it is a replacement only. Anyone tried it?

Henrick
03-10-2010, 03:00 AM
Which insert?

Because the inserts sabesh tested use all the main compartment of the bag, you won't be able to fit your original Domke insert...

Henrick
03-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Glad to help ;)

I also found another insert, the reference is bokeh, here is the link on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-BOKEH-camera-bag-insert-for-domke-f-2-tiffen-f2_W0QQitemZ270551499291QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item3efe20421b

bambino
04-19-2010, 05:28 PM
As someone who does not care if the lens is mounted to the camera inside my f2 I suggest this: nikon 17-55 is approx 4.25 "w with shade.as is tokina 11-16
canons are similar size. these lenses just don't fit with shades on even with wide angle insert
Insert is 8.5 wide inside dimensions of bag give another say 2.5 or 3 inches for 2bodies without lenses
so inside measerments are 14 call it F2D
While your at it improve strap by incorporating pad in strap and making hardware metal like they used to be.meaning the strap rings
I have d300's so the big boys will have to be a bit bigger
I search and search but I hate these big bulky bags like coolers hanging on your side

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cjw
04-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Not an insert, but if you made the f-808 with backpack straps like the "Targus 15.4 Grove Convertible Messenger/Backpack" (I'd put a link to their site for pictures, but I can't link in posts.), and a waist strap (for when carrying as a messenger and another for when carrying as a backpack), I'd be all over it.

Thanks, Carolyn

peachfuzz
05-22-2010, 11:45 AM
One thing that would vastly improve the insert system is a second strip of Velcro around the bottom of the bag. Just like the top of the bag currently has.

Making the Velcro strip slightly wider would also improve retention as well.

Of course, a ballistic F1-X with these features should be sent to me for beta testing;)

admin
05-23-2010, 02:59 PM
I wish you said something about 4 months ago. Bad timing on your part, guess that means no beta testing for you. :)

peachfuzz
05-23-2010, 09:34 PM
I wish you said something about 4 months ago. Bad timing on your part, guess that means no beta testing for you. :)

:D Regardless, feel free to incorporate my suggestions into future product improvements.

I'll happily pony up for an F1-X with those features. I am on my second shoulder strap on my current F1-X, so replacement is on the horizon.

2mnycars
06-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Great review sabesh!

DaveL
Mississauga