PDA

View Full Version : F3X comfort

dafiryde
03-27-2010, 08:49 AM
i just spent a 7 day trip with my F3X and by the fifth day i took no more pics due to my shoulders and lower back was in total agony.:mad:
is there a way out of this
would the backpack strap have saved the day
is there a waist belt strap to fit the F3X

Dave
T&T

Henrick
03-27-2010, 11:16 AM
The backpack strap might help, since the weight wouldn't be only on one shoulder...

Personnaly, I take my F3X when I only have the camera and 2 lenses maximum. If I have to carry more than that (1% of the time), I take my Kata DR-465 backpack.

Jon
03-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Are you using the Post Office Pad? You could use the backpack straps; I'd suggest though that if you're having back troubles from what you can fit in an F3x, maybe your first stop should be with your doctor or physical therapist to strengthen your back muscles. Usually when I'm out, the camera's out of the bag, which makes a marked difference in the bag's weight.

dafiryde
03-27-2010, 05:17 PM
The backpack strap might help, since the weight wouldn't be only on one shoulder...

Personnaly, I take my F3X when I only have the camera and 2 lenses maximum. If I have to carry more than that (1% of the time), I take my Kata DR-465 backpack.

it must be age. :confused:
all i had in it was a Nikon D90/grip, 17-55 lens, 70-300 lens, 360 flash :eek:
i did not have with me but i own a lowepro flipside and lowepro versapack,
but i like the convenience and draw speed of a F3X.
But i aint going thru that pain again.

can i over come that

Dave
T&T

Henrick
03-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Maybe age or lack of sport then...

dafiryde
03-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Are you using the Post Office Pad? You could use the backpack straps; I'd suggest though that if you're having back troubles from what you can fit in an F3x, maybe your first stop should be with your doctor or physical therapist to strengthen your back muscles. Usually when I'm out, the camera's out of the bag, which makes a marked difference in the bag's weight.

well i just spent 2 days turning this house upside down and i found my Domke shoulder pad. took one look at it and realised why i never used it.
so i need to know something here
is the padded part suppose to be soft or ( hard and stiff )

Dave
T&T

Arnaud
03-30-2010, 01:20 AM
It's a mix of the two.

Jon
03-30-2010, 09:15 AM
It's firm, neither rigid nor spongy. It'll spread the weight across a wider area, which the soft strap pads won't, but has enough give that the edges won't cut into your shoulder.

dafiryde
03-30-2010, 11:14 AM
It's firm, neither rigid nor spongy. It'll spread the weight across a wider area, which the soft strap pads won't, but has enough give that the edges won't cut into your shoulder.

It's a mix of the two.

will give it a try
thanks again

Dave T&T

2mnycars
04-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Feedback==can't find the pad here in Canada at the retailers.

It's frustrating finding affordable pads, and inserts.

DaveL

Arnaud
04-03-2010, 03:46 AM
I bought a travel universal pad in a Saturn. Very good and versatile.
name is Stressless C Travail Air.

mathomas
04-20-2010, 12:00 PM
it must be age. :confused:
all i had in it was a Nikon D90/grip, 17-55 lens, 70-300 lens, 360 flash :eek:
i did not have with me but i own a lowepro flipside and lowepro versapack,
but i like the convenience and draw speed of a F3X.
But i aint going thru that pain again.

can i over come that

Dave
T&T

Sell that stuff and go get yourself an M8 and a few Voigtlander/Zeiss/Leica primes. I don't even feel that stuff when I'm carrying it. I have to hold it down to keep it from floating away.

(ducking and running :))

Seriously, though, another thing to try (maybe after the post office pad) is a wider strap that "gives" a little. I use with my Canon 30D + giant lenses, and it really helps a lot. Makes the behemoth feel a lot lighter. I think it's an Op-Tech, and they may make them for bags, as well.

If I'm carrying a full-on kit of SLR stuff (30D, 70-200L, 150 f/2.8, 50 f/1.4), I found it helpful to use a combo of belt strap + shoulder strap. It spreads out the weight a bit.

Good luck...

dafiryde
11-13-2010, 02:18 PM
well the opportunity arosed once again, but this time i went prepared with the Domke shoulder pad
and am not kidding, that pad made muy gear feel 100 % worst :confused:
i was actually in less agony when i took it off

What about the optech system, can any of you guys give some personal views on this strap, does it really make your gear feel 50% lighter, or is that marketing hype

Dave
T&T

Jon
11-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Dunno about 50% lighter, but it's as comfortable as you could hope with up to a 1D3 and 300 f/2.8.

dafiryde
11-13-2010, 07:43 PM
thanks will give it a try
my biggest problem is that i find only Domke bags are functionable, and a pleasure to work out of, and maybe instead of using that gripper thingy on the strap they should use a bungie grippie substance :eek:

Dave
T&T

dafiryde
11-16-2010, 04:26 PM
thanks will give it a try
my biggest problem is that i find only Domke bags are functionable, and a pleasure to work out of, and maybe instead of using that gripper thingy on the strap they should use a bungie grippie substance :eek:

Dave
T&T

strange scenario
i hooked up my OP/Tech pro loop camera strap onto my F3x to see if i would feel a difference and strangely it felt extreemly uncomfortable, which is the complete opposite of what i was expecting. :eek: when i walked, i could actually see the bag bouncing up and down slightly due to the bungie style the strap is designed to do, yet on every bounce i could already feel the strap cutting into my shoulder if used for an extended peroid.

f3x
is a jem to work out of

2" strap is more comfortable than the optech system, i always suspected that shock absorbing feature was nothing but marketing hype :

2 " strap is more comfortable than the domke shoulder pad, really, this pad is short , heavy and hard. and worst of all it is the ugliest thing when on your shoulder

a backpack is totally useless, i am amazed of how much is sold. i think most photohogs buys them so that when they reach where they have to go , they can show off how much equipment they have

do i go back to P&S and berid of all this headache or is their a solution out there

Dave
T&T

natper
11-17-2010, 09:04 AM
well the opportunity arosed once again, but this time i went prepared with the Domke shoulder pad
and am not kidding, that pad made muy gear feel 100 % worst :confused:
i was actually in less agony when i took it off

What about the optech system, can any of you guys give some personal views on this strap, does it really make your gear feel 50% lighter, or is that marketing hype

Dave
T&T

Im Curious- did you have it on the right way. Apparently, the fatter side needs to face out, I use to have it the other way, thinking it was to fill in my shoulder. When I reversed it- it worked!

dafiryde
11-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Im Curious- did you have it on the right way. Apparently, the fatter side needs to face out, I use to have it the other way, thinking it was to fill in my shoulder. When I reversed it- it worked!

yep fat side out, gave it a try and within 3 hrs i realised the bare strap was more tolerable, more comfortable and much better looking, :D that pad sure is ugly

Dave
T&T

Arnaud
11-19-2010, 02:02 AM
I finaly get rid of the pads. More easy to work without. The weight is just a habit.

dafiryde
11-19-2010, 02:25 PM
I think i might have found the solution.
My usual gear is camera, grip, 2-3 lenses, flash and accessories.
Put one lens and a flash in a seperate pouches that is attached to my pants belt. :cool:
Balance stays in the bag :D
Its amazing how much weight that acessories accounts for, ( extra battery for the camera, extra batteries for the flash, filters, cleaning supplies, shoulder strap etc etc ) which i am sure is equal to the weight of a lens. :eek:
At this point i would do anything to make my F3X more comfortabe as any other type or brand is totally useless

11/20/10
during some house cleaning today i found my Domke backpack harness, i will carry this with me next time ;)

Dave
T&T

dafiryde
01-26-2011, 03:23 PM
well the opportunity arosed once again, but this time i went prepared with the Domke backpack strap, and am not kidding, 5 days of an average of over 12 hrs of constant walking each day, no no no pain any where on my back or shoulders, but my toes are gone.:D:D:D
beauty of the back pack strap it can be slung as a shoulder strap or back pack strap in a milisec
So , by cahnce does Domke make different colour backpack straps

Dave
T&T

dafiryde
03-04-2011, 12:18 PM
well the opportunity arosed once again, but this time i went prepared with the Domke backpack strap, and am not kidding, 5 days of an average of over 12 hrs of constant walking each day, no no no pain any where on my back or shoulders, but my toes are gone.:D:D:D
beauty of the back pack strap it can be slung as a shoulder strap or back pack strap in a milisec
So , by cahnce does Domke make different colour backpack straps

Dave
T&T

would love to get one to match the F3X rugged wear

Dave
T&T

admin
03-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Sorry, no we don't.

dafiryde
03-06-2011, 07:42 AM
what a blunt reply

Dave
T&T

admin
03-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Sorry, I was away and answering off my phone so that you didn't have to wait for me to return. I assume you mean a tan strap. We don't make them and this is the first request I've ever received. Please contact me at arauch@tiffen.com.

Andrea

akinggold
12-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Hello,the new world.

Jon
12-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Sorry, I was away and answering off my phone so that you didn't have to wait for me to return. I assume you mean a tan strap. We don't make them and this is the first request I've ever received. Please contact me at arauch@tiffen.com.

Andrea
Andrea - you (or Jim) used to. I have one that I got around when I got my first F-2 from him. Massive aluminium ring for the 4 straps to attach to. Beautiful piece of gear.

2mnycars
12-07-2011, 08:24 PM
My F3/X is a delight to use. But I understand if yours is not. I use similar gear. D300S + grip; 18-200VR//70-300VR
(Yes, lots of overlap; bought the 18-200 lens to simplify my life. The 70-300is such a delight, I just had to make things more complicated!)

I use a Postal Pad and find it very helpful. This is an old thread. No they're not affordable from Henry's and Vistek in Canada. They are a wonderful price at Adorama! And since I had to pay shipping, I bought 2 of them! Thanks to Helen Oster!

I use the bag on my right shoulder. Hangs straight down. Seldom drape it over my head and neck.

I had a Retro10PS on vacation; it sucked. Left it behind in the room. Came back and traded it. Others have a better opinion of the bag. I should have taken my F3/X.

Ask 6 photographers to recommend a bag; you'll get 10 answers. ;-)

DaveL

jocvtrhythgd
04-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Usually when I'm out, the camera's out of the bag, which makes a marked difference in the bag's weight.

chrispaul3
04-29-2012, 01:54 AM
I finaly get rid of the pads. More easy to work without. The weight is just a habit.

nvrgtgnjdgd
05-31-2012, 01:09 AM
The backpack strap might help, since the weight wouldn't be only on one shoulder..