PDA

View Full Version : Wax wear too waxy !

Recoil3d
04-19-2010, 02:13 AM
Hi just bought the F-3X waxwear and really find it too waxy:( ... i live in singapore so it quite hot but didnt expect the bag to be like this ... im even scared to put my lenses into the bag as now my camera's screen has a little bit of wax and its hard[really hard ,and I dont want to use solvents as it may damage the lens coating] to wipe it off even with a lens cloth:mad: any reccomendations or help ?:confused:

Henrick
04-19-2010, 04:22 AM
Wow, first time I hear about that... Is your bag a real Domke, not a fake?:confused:

Recoil3d
04-19-2010, 04:51 AM
Its a real Domke bought from cathay photo [one of the distro if you check tiffens website]. maybe gonna give it a wipe down today or sumthing

Henrick
04-19-2010, 05:38 AM
Maybe a bad sample then... Did you show the problem to the seller where you bought your bag?

Recoil3d
04-19-2010, 05:46 AM
Just to clarify its NOT like that it is so waxy that you can scratch it and there will be wax under your nails . Its more like if you hold the bag you can feel a waxy feeling on your finger afterwards

Jon
04-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Is it possible that the wax rubbed, rather than melted, off onto your camera's LCD? Even though you can't scrape the wax off, it still may wear off for a while after you first start using it, especially in hot climates where it can soften up. What's the typical temperature outdoors there? Somewhere around 35 C? If this were something other than the F3, I'd say to just let the inserts "collect" the wax; since that doesn't use inserts, that's not really an option.

You didn't mention the brand camera you have. Canon's LCD is actually behind a very hard (acrylic or glass depending on the model) cover that you could safely clean with very small amounts of something like "GooGone" or other citrus-based cleaner/solvent. As to your lenses, lens caps should keep anything from getting onto the glass while they're in the bag; I'd be more concerned about the wax building up on the lens barrels (or camera body) as a sticky coat and then transferring to unwanted places via your hands.

You might check with your dealer and see if the wax impregnation on your bag seems similar to that on other models of the Waxwear bags, or if other customers have encountered similar issues (and how they've dealt with them).

Recoil3d
04-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Yea its more of rubbed than melted and im using a pentax k-7. it can be wiped off but its just irritating you know:mad: the bag feels slightly waxy to the touch so it didnt bother me when i was at the shop but only when i put my equipment into it then i realised what a nuisance it can be ...

Recoil3d
04-21-2010, 02:39 AM
A few days use and its still quite waxy ...:( The most waxy parts are the edges of the flap and when you rub them in between your fingers it rubs off onto them and its hard to wash off... [its wax =.=] Really frustating and wished id have gotten the ballistic one ...

Andrea
04-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Recoil3d,
Please contact me at arauch@tiffen.com

Andrea

Recoil3d
05-17-2010, 04:43 AM
... emailed but after a mth later still no response ...:mad:

Finally went to sell off the bag and bought a billingham .

A bad experience with Domke's waxwear and tiffen cus. service:mad:
I wont say Domke bags are bad , but the wax wear is real bad in hot and humid climate such as Singapore ...

Recoil3d
05-17-2010, 04:44 AM
btw i emailed twice and made sure it was correct too...

admin
05-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Sorry, sometimes emails get stuck in out spam filters. We apologize for your bad experience.

dafiryde
06-10-2010, 02:05 PM
so is there a problem in using waxwear bags in hot climate countries ?

Dave
T&T

admin
06-10-2010, 04:32 PM
No there isn't a problem using waxwear bags in hot climate countries. Maybe the first week when they are first wearing in they will feel a bit sticky, but after that they would be fine.

Thackeray61
08-06-2010, 05:32 AM
ok I got it..I also encountered with the same issue..

Elijah
09-25-2010, 06:53 AM
The bag is not that bad because nobody will produce it if the quality is not good and I guess we just have to know when to use it and what things are we going to put inside of it.