PDA

View Full Version : Gadget Guys reviews F-6

Jim Domke
05-04-2010, 08:44 PM
http://gadgetguys.com/content/favorite-travel-bag-domke-f-6-little-bit-smaller-camera-bag

Here's the review:

Over time I've collected a closet full of travel bags. The one I reach for, when I'm not carrying a laptop, is Domke F-6 Little Bit Smaller Bag (Sand) . The Domke bag was designed by Jim Domke as a photojournalist's bag. "I designed my first Shooter's Bag to solve a problem, without a thought that I might actually end up in the photo bag business. As a staffer at the Philadelphia Inquirer, I needed a bag I could work out of fast, and on the run if need be." said Jim Domke. The bags are made in the US.

The outside of my Domke F6 classic camera bag is made from heavy duty, water resistant canvas and feels reasonably rugged. You can also get Domke bags in 1050 Denier Ballistic Nylon. The top is secured by metal snaphooks on the front which are easy to undo and unlikely to fail (unlike zippers). The top is loosely fitted and not meant to protect against serious weather.

Domke F-6The bag comes with Domke's adjustable non-slip Gripper strap--basically the strap has high friction rubber lines through it. This stops and sliding off your shoulder which is useful. There is a detachable short strap for carrying the bag in your hand.

The Domke F-6 has a padded bottom, but no padding on the sides. This keeps with Jim Domke's goal of making a bag for a photojournalist. It comes with a 4 compartment removable insert. With a 4 compartment insert it is easy to carry 4 lenses and a camera body with a small lens attached. You can buy different insert configurations from Domke.

The Domke F6 is not a traditional camera bag. It won't protect your gear in a torrential downpour. The top is loose enough that gear can slip out if you're not careful. Also, if you bang or drop your bag some of your gear will be unprotected.

So why do I love this bag? It is a discreet bag that doesn't look like a camera bag. It fits a camera, a couple of lenses, and a small GPS unit and my phone. The bag has an inside zippered pocket (in which I put memory cards) an outside zippered pocket that I usually put some cleaning supplies, and an energy bar or two. In the open back pocket I put a paperback book and boarding passes. The soft canvas bag molds around what you are carrying and your body and it is very comfortable to carry. It is a great bag for trips around town, or travel where photography is not your primary goal.
Domke F-6 Little Bit Smaller Bag (Sand) Specifications

Exterior Dimensions 11.5 x 7.0 x 7.5" (29.21 x 17.78 x 19.05cm) (WxDxH)

Interior Dimensions 11.25 x 5.5 x 7.0" (28.58 x 13.97 x 17.78cm) (WxDxH)

Weight 1.0 lbs 13.0 oz (822g)

(Misses the point about working, using the bag to shoot, versus a storage container. I feel the Domke better protects gear than a padded bag which allows cameras/lenses to vibrate and rattle around inside the bag. JGD)