PDA

View Full Version : shoulder pad

dafiryde
01-29-2009, 11:08 PM
i recently got the domke shoulder pad for my f3x
i realised that it is tapered, can you tell me which side should face the side of my neck?
Dave

Jon
01-30-2009, 10:37 AM
The narrow side. the wedge shape helps keep the strap from slipping off your shoulder that way.

Jim Domke
01-30-2009, 03:03 PM
The shoulder pad designed by the US Postal Service is designed to level things off on the shoulder. It is shaped like a wedge so the narrow side is toward the neck and the thicker edge on the outside.

This is for added comfort, and is suppose to balance the weight over the entire strap, so as to avoid having one side of the strap cutting into the shoulder.

Thanks for asking, Jim

dafiryde
01-31-2009, 03:06 PM
thanks for the reply
i wondered, when i put the norrow side out found it to be more comfortable but yet it did not look right

Dave

dafiryde
03-29-2009, 06:01 AM
The shoulder pad designed by the US Postal Service is designed to level things off on the shoulder. It is shaped like a wedge so the narrow side is toward the neck and the thicker edge on the outside.

This is for added comfort, and is suppose to balance the weight over the entire strap, so as to avoid having one side of the strap cutting into the shoulder.

Thanks for asking, Jim

but what if the bag is worn in a sling style ?

Dave

Jim Domke
03-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Like the mailman getting in and out of the car, or needing to move the bag from one shoulder to another they don't sling the strap over their shoulder.

If you are fishing this makes sense, the bag won't accidentally slide off and fall in the water, but for photographers you can get gear in and out easier with the strap on the same shoulder as the bag. The bag is less noticeable when walking in crowds and you can quickly switch shoulders to keep it away from pick-pockets, etc.

dafiryde
04-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Like the mailman getting in and out of the car, or needing to move the bag from one shoulder to another they don't sling the strap over their shoulder.

If you are fishing this makes sense, the bag won't accidentally slide off and fall in the water, but for photographers you can get gear in and out easier with the strap on the same shoulder as the bag. The bag is less noticeable when walking in crowds and you can quickly switch shoulders to keep it away from pick-pockets, etc.

bags worn in a sling is a must, no matter what type of bag it is, you make a mistake like having the bag on the same side as the strap, and for a milli second your bag will accelerate to 200 M.P.H in front of you

this is why i was concern, if worn in a sling, the tapered side should face ?
Dave

Jon
04-10-2009, 07:25 AM
I'd still keep the narrow edge toward my neck, but do whatever feels more comfortable. I'm not all that sure that your concern about "your bag will accelerate to 200 M.P.H in front of you" is well-founded. Both the Domke Gripper Strap on your bag and the Ensolite padding on the shoulder pad are very resistant to slippage; I haven't had any troubles with any of mine since I started using them, which was almost as soon as Jim Domke began selling them, and I do find it more comfortable with the strap on the same side as the bag. If I want to sling it behind me, and I don't have a backpack harness on it, I'll sling it across my chest, but I don't readjust the pad since I do that so little. And slinging the bag cross-chest, for me at least, tends to interfere with my camera(s).

dafiryde
04-10-2009, 09:48 AM
I'd still keep the narrow edge toward my neck, but do whatever feels more comfortable. I'm not all that sure that your concern about "your bag will accelerate to 200 M.P.H in front of you" is well-founded. Both the Domke Gripper Strap on your bag and the Ensolite padding on the shoulder pad are very resistant to slippage; I haven't had any troubles with any of mine since I started using them, which was almost as soon as Jim Domke began selling them, and I do find it more comfortable with the strap on the same side as the bag. If I want to sling it behind me, and I don't have a backpack harness on it, I'll sling it across my chest, but I don't readjust the pad since I do that so little. And slinging the bag cross-chest, for me at least, tends to interfere with my camera(s).

lets say you have the strap on your right shoulder and the bag on your right side and for a millisecond you use you right hand to lets say point at something, thats when you will see your camera bag , hand bag whatever kind of bag reach and may be break the sound barrier speed
in a nut shell they have bandits in this island that looks like they can run that fast,

Dave

Dave

Shyam
04-16-2009, 07:15 AM
i use the bag generally in a messenger style sling across the chest pattern...
I actually think it makes the bag easier to access... and not to mention feels safer in crowded areas too..

but i guess its a personal preference... and its quite subjective..

Shyam
04-16-2009, 07:18 AM
i also think that body build and shoulder size make a difference too... just pick which ever is more comfy and whichever you feel is safer i guess...

dafiryde
04-16-2009, 09:04 PM
i use the bag generally in a messenger style sling across the chest pattern...
I actually think it makes the bag easier to access... and not to mention feels safer in crowded areas too..

but i guess its a personal preference... and its quite subjective..

i agree, slung across the chest is
more comfortable
easier to access
more view and room to access gear
and by far safer

Dave