PDA

View Full Version : new bag style for 2009

gingertwist
02-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Hi,
I have been searching for a new bag to fit my gear and love the look of the Domke bags. I have read so many great reviews about them. I am interested in the F-2 (love the chocolate one) but worry about the top flap not covering enough of the sides.

I live in B.C. Canada and can't find a place that sells them so can't actually see one.

My gear so far
Nikon D90
Nikon 18-105
Nikon 50mm 1.8
Tamron 90mm
SB-600 Speedlight Flash
misc cables, spare batteries, cleaning equip etc

Hope to add a longer zoom and wide lens in near future so would like a bag that will carry most if not all of it.

I have also read that Domke is coming out with some new bags in 2009 and wondering if it was real or rumor. Any one heard?

Thank so much

Jon
02-16-2009, 08:55 AM
The top flap does overhang the sides nicely unless you stuff the bag beyond the gills. As to new bags, I don't know, but they seem to have introduced 6-8 in the last few months, so I'd hope they slow down. Personally, I thought the existing range was pretty comprehensive and there's no need to go the Crumpler route of semi-annual changes in style and name just for the sake of staying "trendy".

Andrea
02-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Hi, our biggest customer in Canada is Henry's and I don't believe there is one near you. We are working this year at expanding our distribution in Canada, so hopefully that will change soon.

Also, I agree with Jon, the top flap overhangs nicely.

As for the new bags in 2009, sorry Jon, but I'm the product manager for Domke bags, so there has to be new bags, otherwise I lose my job, and in this economy that wouldn't be good. So, Gingertwist, there will be some new bags in 2009 and since you mentioned it, I'll give you a sneak preview of one.

It's a satchel that will come in 3 sizes and two materials (black canvas and black ballistic nylon). The two large ones hold a laptop in addition to camera gear. Here are two pictures of the medium. It's still in the works so there may be a few changes.

Jim Domke
02-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Alot of factors come into play when designing a working bag. How water tight? If you make it tight enough to stay dry when it falls into the lake, then it will take longer to get to the flash and you miss the shot. When you are taking pictures the weather isn't that sever. If you are going down the roaring rapids, you need to put the Domke bag inside a rubber duffle bag. I've seen orange bags with flaps that roll up to seal them tight and even have backpack straps.

My favorite story is Sports Illustrated photog, Bill Eppridge, telling me how he covered the winter Olympics. He had to go in and get warm, but when he came out the camera lens would also be warm and fog up. He carried a garbage bag and put his Domke Bag inside and left it outside next to the cafe.

Eppridgee was also an inventor, and is credited for designing a "soft-shutter button" for the old mechanical Nikon F, and invented a "softer" shutter button finder for electronic cameras. He discovered the non-slip strips sold in hardware stores for stairs were perfect for feeling the shutter button. He simply uses a paper hole-punch to stamp out rough dots, then epoxies it to the slick and slippery shutter button. Now he can find the shutter button without looking, avoid missing a photo in the dark or in the winter when he is wearing gloves.

Eppridge had to invent a way to work out of his Domke Bag in foul weather, covering events when it was snowing or in pouring ran. Using a large plastic garbage bag he had cut the bottom open, then puts the Domke Bag inside and taped the bottom back together letting the shoulder strap come out at each corner. When it stops raining he wads the bag together and uses rubberbands to make a ball and stay at the base on one side of the shoulder strap.

Excellant for covering yacht races and protecting everything from salty ocean spray. He could reach under the bag and feel for what he needed, change lenses, data cards, etc and everything stays dry!

A garbage bag makes a great rain coat for your Domke bag!

gingertwist
02-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks so much for the info and the sneak peak. I like a shoulder bag so I think I am going to go with the canvas F2, I have admired it for so long.
Henrys in Canada is very expensive for the F2 ($230 CDN plus tax & shipping) and distributors in the U.S. are expensive for shipping to Canada. I found a place online in Montreal (Photo-co Home Clicshop) that sells your product for a good price but alas they do not sell the Chocolate color. I will keep searching but if I don't find one soon in Canada, will opt for my very close second choice Sand.
Just one more question, I just bought the Nikon 70-300 lens, can you tell if all my equipment will fit in the F2 or should I opt for the F1? I would eventually like to add the Tokina 11-16 lens to my kit and that should do it.
As I live in B.C. a distributor on the westcoast would be awesome :0)

dafiryde
03-06-2009, 08:47 PM
A garbage bag makes a great rain coat for your Domke bag!

or if you were an old Lowepro fan like myself and fell in love with the Domke F-3X sand , my old lowepro Minimag AW rain cover fits the F3X like a glove

Dave

Arnaud
03-07-2009, 02:35 AM
The F2 is the right choice for the gears you have listed.
The top will cover the side easily because it won't be full.

gingertwist
03-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Just got my chocolate brown F2. Everything fits. I love the look and feel of it and can't wait to take it out.

GBULL
03-17-2009, 12:15 PM
I am in the market for a do it all camera to carry laptop/office files, camera, & lunch box. Not sure the Domke F-804 or the new 2009 model is better for me.

I am planning to carry one camera (Leica M) with 35mm & 90MM lens & share the camera compartment with my lunch box (about 7.25" x 6").

The camera bag will be my daily carrying bag to work and does not wish to look like a "pure" camera bag.

I am in Vancouver, BC. Any hints where I can feel and touch the Domke bag locally.

Is there any target date to launch the new 2009 Domke bag?

Thanks advance for the help

Andrea
03-17-2009, 01:09 PM
The new laptop/photo bags will be available in May. We are working to get them into Canadian retails this year.

natper
03-30-2009, 11:20 AM
I am in the market for a laptop- camera bag. When will the specs be available?

Andrea
03-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Good question, I think now is as good a time as any.
Large - External 17"W x 8"D x 12.5"H
Internal Photo Area - 16" W x 6" D x 11.5" H
Internal Laptop Area - 16" W x 1.5" D x 11.5" H

Medium - External 15"W x 8"D x 11.5"H
Internal Photo Area - 14" W x 6" D x 10" H
Internal Laptop Area - 14" W x 1.5" D x 10" H

Small - External 13.5"W x 5.75"D x 11.5"H
Internal Photo Area - 12" W x 5" D x 10" H
No Laptop Area

natper
03-31-2009, 08:56 PM
So- for a 15 " macbook pro, I guess its a large bag? How about the colors- any hints on these yet?

I couldnt tell by your pics- I was also wondering about the outside flap- will it wrap over the zippers like the belt bags?

omigoat
03-31-2009, 09:22 PM
Too bad the medium isn't just a tad wider since I'm also using a 15" MacBook Pro (which is 14" wide). Would that be a tight fit in the medium, or is there enough "give" to allow it fit comfortably? At least for me, the large might be a little too large. In any case, looking forward to seeing these new bags in their final form.

Andrea
04-10-2009, 03:07 PM
I might be a drop off on the dimensions because a 15" Macbook does fit in the medium bag.
We are starting off with black only in canvas or in ballistic nylon.
The flap is not over the zipper.

natper
04-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Sounds good. I kinda figured the macbook pro would fit in the med bag.

I would like to suggest you discuss with your designers about getting the flap to cover the zippers. This is a deal breaker for me. I want to be able to leave the bag open- but have the contents available with out fear of it spilling out. Also, as with prior domke bags, I can slip things under the flap like umbrellas, a coat or what ever and secure it down with the clasp.

rposar
04-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Any idea when these might be available in the US from someone like B & H or Adorama? I would really like to try one of these bags.

Andrea
04-27-2009, 02:45 PM
They should be available in Early June.

GBULL
04-29-2009, 06:08 PM
What will be the model lable for this new laptop/camera shoulder bag? This will ease in search the internet store availability. I am interested on the large size..

Thanks

Andrea
04-30-2009, 02:57 PM
There will be two model numbers on the large size. The canvas one will be an F-812 and the ballistic nylon witll be J-812.

Also, for those who are interested the small is an F-810 or J-810 and the medium is an F-811 and a J-811.

addylo
05-03-2009, 07:50 PM
What a timely thread. I'm in the market for just such a bag to carry a laptop and some camera gear. The new model(s) sound promising. I love my F-6 and would really like a Domke bag for my laptop but it would need to be capable of doing double duty (laptop and camera).

What is the difference in the new model and your current "Reporter Satchel" line (F-802, F-803)? From what I can tell they also are designed to hold a laptop and camera. Or is that for one or the other, but not both?

Andrea
05-04-2009, 11:22 AM
The F-802 and F-803 only have one unpadded compartment. The new F-811and F-812 have two compartments, one for a laptop and one for camera equipment. In the camera equipment portion there is a 4 section insert (which can be adjusted), and it is tall enough for a camera body with 70-200mm lens. Actually, since the Nikon is bigger, the F-812 fits the Nikon comfortably, the smaller F-811 fits the Canon comfortably. The F-811 is big enough for a 15" MacBook Pro and the F-812 fits a 17". The bags are a bit more padded then the F-802 and F-803. Plus a few more compartments and a place so that you can put it onto a luggage trolley.

omigoat
05-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Looking forward the seeing these bags!

natper
05-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Whats the status with these new bags? Any more pictures or flyers ready yet?

Andrea
05-29-2009, 09:20 AM
They are running a little later than expected and we should have them in stock by the end of June, the should be instores early July.

omigoat
06-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Andrea, wondering if you'll have a chance to post a couple pics of the final product (F-811 and 812)? Thanks!

Andrea
06-03-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm working on them now and should have something up shortly.

Andrea
06-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Here are a few pictures. The 811 and 812 look the same and have all the same features, the only difference is size. The 811 holds a 15" laptop and the 812 is big enough for a 17".

natper
06-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Very Nice! I was wondering- are these still made in America? Also what colors will you have available?

oops- I saw the american flag. I guess that answers my question. What about the retail cost- any ideas yet?

Arnaud
06-04-2009, 01:14 AM
Nice !
I like the new belt attachment, the handle and the back 'all purpose' pocket. But what about the waterproof of the upper (main compartment) zippers ?
Seems to be a must to come. When in Paris ?

omigoat
06-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Very nice! Glad to see it's got a "full-sized" camera compartment and insert. Looks like the "811" will fit my "carry gear to work" needs perfectly. Should make a great carry-on for travel without shouting "Camera and Computer Inside!".

natper- I think Andrea mentioned along the way that the 811 and 812 will be initially available in black only.

Andrea
06-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Yes, they are made in the US.
Also, we have tested it in very heavy wet conditions and the zipper holds up fine to water.
And we are starting off in Black only, ballistic nylon and canvas are the options. We are considering the brown waxwear with tan webbing. Any thoughts on that?

natper
06-05-2009, 07:32 PM
This isnt a bag you are going to carry in the field, so I dont think waxwear will offer much. I think this bag will be very useful for those who need to tether their computer to their cameras in a studio type situation. I do an extended santa shoot every year- and I have to lug around two bags- one for my computers and one for my cameras. This bag would be ideal for that.

I do hope you add olive and or brown canvas to the choices. Im not a fan of black bags- they look like hell very quickly. I have seen a large reporters satchel, and it looked like it was 10 years old- the photographer told me he had just got it a few weeks ago!

Andy
06-08-2009, 07:32 AM
For Photo Journalist, this is very much a bag that is perfect for field work.
I often send images to my editor when out on an assignment and I have been looking for a bag that will carry a slr, a few lenses and a laptop.

Way to go Domke!!! I´m looking forward to this one.

Please make it in blue canvas.

Arnaud
06-08-2009, 09:22 AM
I am in UK (Cambridge) un july. Any chance to find it ?

Andrea
06-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I don't think so, they are made in the US, so they will probably not arrive to our UK warehouse until late July. We will keep you updated though.

natper
06-08-2009, 12:28 PM
@Andy- When I say field bag- I mean walking 2-3 miles around a city or woods. For me- 2 bodies, 3 lens, two flashes and a mac 15 inch laptop with power brick and card reader is a lot to carry on your shoulder.

I have known a few guys who use to use the Lowe Pro Stealth Reporter D650 AW which pretty much handled that load. And it seemed all of them ended up leaving their laptops in their cars or in the photographers area for the shoot. Its simply too much weight to work with while you are on the move.

Having said that- I dont think waxwear would be of much value for this particular bag. But then again- Im not a Photo Journalist.

beeveedee
06-08-2009, 06:21 PM
First reaction, didn't think I'd like this. (a little too much like the ThinkTank bags, which I'm lukewarm about) But these photos have me warming up to the idea of these. Wonder what the "floppiness"--as in, flexibility--of these are... I want that body-hugging ability that has been a part of the Domke bag experience for years.

Arnaud
06-09-2009, 02:21 AM
For me, the possibility of carrying a laptop is a good thing for the 'ferrying' part of a coverage ; I mean the flight with only one carry on and the trip between your flight and hotel or camp if you are with the army. After, my laptop is staying there for duration of the coverage.
If you are in Africa or Afghanistan, to have a good protection for your laptop and camera against dust is one of the most important things. Secondly, against all the 'bumps' you can expect in an off road vehicle. If you have a bag which provide you that protection, sure you are safe for any other trip.
Andrea : are you working also on a 'big' F2 to come ?

Andrea
06-09-2009, 09:06 AM
First the answer to beeveedee - unfortunately we had to remove some of the body hugging ability. We found that people felt it very important to have some protection around their computer.

Arnaud - we have been playing with the idea of a big F-2 for some time now. Taller? Wider? Does it fit a computer? If so, where?

Jon
06-09-2009, 10:08 AM
How about with an F1-like "bulky" back pocket and a separate laptop sleeve that fits into it? Or a removable back pocket, sort of like the F-801 Satchel that was designed to clip onto the back of the F2? That way with the laptop left behind you've got the conformal bag capability. Although even a deeper F2 would be too small for anything over a 13" screen, tops, wouldn't it? You'd probably have to go to an F7-sized bag to handle a 15-17"laptop. I carry a netbook in my F3 (main compartment) or in one of the front pockets of an F-802 or F-7. I couldn't carry anything with more than a 9" screen that way though.

Arnaud
06-10-2009, 01:51 AM
That's the way. A 'little bit smaller' (shorter) F1, higher for new lens and with a good padded back pocket enough for 15' screen.
I like the big top cover, somewhere the signature of the legend of Domke bags.

Geoff
06-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Any word on colors other than black and their availability? I'd like one in "sand" (tan) canvas or nylon.

Thanks.

Geoff

Andrea
06-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Hi Geoff,
Initially we will just be carrying black, if we decide to add another color I will let everyone know, as of right now we are just gathering feedback.

Thanks,
Andrea

Geoff
06-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Andrea.

Did you see my question in the "Feedback" forum regarding a replacement strap for an F-802 satchel?

Geoff

JackKurtz
06-17-2009, 11:03 AM
In Picture 6 it looks like the back pocket has a zipper to slide the bag over a luggage handle. Or do my eyes deceive me? If so it's very cool and nice addition. thanks, jack

Andrea
06-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi Jack,
Yes, there is a back pocket that can unzip for a luggage cart.
Andrea

MalijanPhotography
06-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Is there a particular price range set yet?

Andrea
06-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Yes there is, but these are just our suggested prices to our retailers, you never know what they are going to do.
F-810 - $159.99
F-811 - $189.99
F-812 - $209.99
J-810 - $164.99
J-811 - $194.99
J-812 - $214.99

natper
06-18-2009, 12:30 PM
When will you have the products posted online?

benr
07-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm a long-time 12" PowerBook user, who's finally found a portable replacement in the new 13" MacBook Pro.

I'd love the to use 810 and have the 13" fit snugly, but I fear the 811 size will leave it swimming around (if it can accommodate the 15" MacBook pro).

I wish the 810 size had the laptop compartment*–*any future plans or suggestions?

Thanks, Ben

mrjgreen
07-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Hi I have a D700 with a Nikkor 24-70mm (model 2164) lens.. I would also to put my dell mini 9 netbook in the mix too.. Which ballistic nylon bag in the new line up, or in the existing line, would you recommend for this configuration... I would also like to leave some room for misc stuff... and future purchases of a flash or two and a couple more lens...

Thank you

Andrea
07-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi Natper - They are on there now.

Hi Ben - The 811 has a divider for small laptops in the laptop section that prevents it from moving. We have no plans at this time to make an 810 with a laptop section, the bag kind of becomes a bit of a box.

MRJ - Personally, I think you could probably use either 810 and put the netbook in the front pocket, or the J-803. We also have a new video bag coming out late this year that might also work, as it will have the flexibilty to work for still too.

Sorry for the late replies, I've been on vacation. :)

natper
07-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Hi Natper - They are on there now.

Can you provide a link- I dont see them? Also- when will they be in stock at B&H?

Have a good vacation? Lets see some pics of your domke bag on vacation!

Andrea
07-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Here's the link.
Thanks, yes I did have a nice vacation, but I didn't go anywhere so I have no pictures. I'll post some with my bag in August when I go away.

http://www.tiffen.com/results.html?search_type_no=431&tablename=domke&family=Domke+Camera+Bags&

natper
07-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Ah- filed under satchels- I was looking under classic bags. Ok- so if I understand this correctly- the 810 dosnt have a compartment for the laptop? Im here on Long Island- any local dealers carry them yet?

Andrea
07-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Correct, the 810 does not have a compartment for the laptop. Actually, they just arrived and haven't even gone out to our sale people yet. Amazon is pre-selling, Adorama has ordered, but we haven't shipped yet and B&H should be carrying it shortly. Those three always seem to be the first to carry things. I'll let you know as soon as there is a local dealer.

natper
07-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Im going to be leading a Kelby World Wide photo walk in Greenport on July 18th. So far we have 41 people coming- perhaps you or a rep would like to make a guest appearance? I would also consider sporting a loaner..............if you like! Im gonna have to bring my laptop and a projector for after the walk. We wil be meeting in a local restaurant for lunch.

bjpaulin
08-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks so much for the info and the sneak peak. I like a shoulder bag so I think I am going to go with the canvas F2, I have admired it for so long.
Henrys in Canada is very expensive for the F2 ($230 CDN plus tax & shipping) and distributors in the U.S. are expensive for shipping to Canada. I found a place online in Montreal (Photo-co Home Clicshop) that sells your product for a good price but alas they do not sell the Chocolate color. I will keep searching but if I don't find one soon in Canada, will opt for my very close second choice Sand.
Just one more question, I just bought the Nikon 70-300 lens, can you tell if all my equipment will fit in the F2 or should I opt for the F1? I would eventually like to add the Tokina 11-16 lens to my kit and that should do it.
As I live in B.C. a distributor on the westcoast would be awesome :0)

If you haven't found a brown Domke bags yet, I have one I would be happy to sell. my email address is bjpaulin@frontiernet.net. Thanks.

gingertwist
08-09-2009, 06:41 PM
thanks bjpaulin got my chocolate brown f-2 back in March and really love it. Just ordered an olive colored f-6 the other day for shorter treks :0)