PDA

View Full Version : Counterfeit Domke ?

viking
02-18-2009, 08:47 PM
I posting my email to Tiffen.com to possibly warn others prior to buying cheap... and to get advise on what to do next. :confused:

I'll disclose name of the Seller once i have some more facts in the case.

Werner

Dear Sirs,
I have purchased a Domke F-7 from eBay shop XXXX (URL) yesterday. After having read your "counterfeit warning” today, I suspect my bag may be of this kind, since XXXX ships out of Hong Kong or China. I ordered the bag yesterday at GBP 99,- which seemed like a god price but not so low that it got me suspicious
Have you heard of this company before ?
I need some pretty clear statements/guidance from you to move foreward in reversing the sale, as well as getting the eBay shop closed. If VISA requires proof of counterfeit to refund my losses, I’ll need help from Tiffen or local dealer in Norway (Interfoto ?)
Please email on XXXXXXXXXX or you can also call me on +47-XXXXXXX
Regards
Werner

Andrea
02-19-2009, 07:48 AM
Hi Werner,
Yes and sorry, you have purchased a counterfeit bag. Please contact me at arauch@tiffen.com so I can assist you further.

Thanks,
Andrea

vincent
04-01-2009, 09:55 AM
what do we as buyers of domke bags look for on the bag itself to confirm if it is real or not ?
some info on what to look for could help buyers out

thanks

Andrea
04-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Right now, the easiest way to tell is the YKK zipper. More info to follow.

boxy
04-13-2009, 09:31 PM
I got sucked in as well by the decent prices for Domke bags. There are quite a few people who have fallen victim to this fraudulent operator. Are Tiffen doing anything to shut this guy down. I'm hoping to get my money back via PayPal.

Andrea
04-16-2009, 07:41 AM
We are working on stopping this. We thought that Ebay was a reputable company that would have been more help then they have been, but we haven't given up.

danybryn
05-06-2009, 05:08 PM

I have purchased a Domke F3x off ebay that i paid for with paypal. I beleive this could be a fake the seller is Muchmall Hong Kong, i have contacted paypal they have told meto sort the matter out with the seller. Has any one else had any experiance with this seller.

razadaz
05-15-2009, 07:43 PM
For some time I have been wondering why Hong Kong appeared to have copious stocks of cheap Domke bags. I purchased a FX-3 a year ago and could never understand why some of the stitching of the Velcro was so poor compare to other Domke bags I own. Although the bag appeared genuine and stood up to close scrutiny, I always felt there was something not quite right with it. Mine was from a UK dealer, but I suspect he was importing them from Hong Kong.

TOXIC
06-17-2009, 03:56 AM

HI Andrea,

You mention you can tell a counterfeit by the YKK zipper. I may have missed something but does this mean that Domke bags do not use YKK?

If a bag has a YKK it is a counterfeit? If Domke does not use YKK what make of zipper is used?

I purchased a F3X sand bag from a seller on Ebay about a year ago and it has a YKK zipper under the top flap. The bag appears very well made and up until a day ago I did not realise there were counterfeits until I visited your Tiffen website to obtain the Australian distributor for accessories.

Thanks

Andrea
06-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Hi Toxic,
Interesting name. Domke bags have YKK zippers, all of the fakes we've seen so far do not. There are some legitimate sellers on ebay, most are not. There are two, one out of the UK called something like Pixlamb and another out of China called Muchmall that we have confirmed are selling fakes. We are working to stop them. Sounds to me like you have a real bag.

Andrea

TOXIC
06-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Hi Andrea,

Thankyou for your reply and for confirming the origins of my F3X. Now that you have mentioned that Domke uses the famous YKK zippers I decided to do a check of bags selling on Ebay to see what zippers are being used. Firstly though, I am now of the belief that Domke has always used YKK so I am basing my research on this fact.

There is a F3X bag for sale on Ebay currently and I emailed the seller to ask what kind of zipper was used. What got my interest is that all the Domke bags that I have seen so far in stores here in Oz have had the same color zipper as the bag. The color of the zipper on the F3X for sale is black on sand which conflicts in style. Also the reply I got from the seller was that the zipper was a MMA. Now this looks to me as being counterfeit.

This seller has two bags for sale, the F3X and a F6, both sand. I will not list the item numbers as this may contravene the forums policy but any member here can review all the Domke bags for sale on Ebay USA and check for themselves.

I hope this helps as the info supplied by Andrea of Tiffen has helped me.

Cheers
TOXIC

Henrick
07-22-2009, 03:51 AM
Speaking of counterfeit, I saw on ebay the seller Chambrenoirecan in Montreal and I was wondering if it was an authorized dealer and if they sold "real" Domke bags?

Here is the link: stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Chambrenoirecan

Andrea
07-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi Henrick,
Yes they are a U.S. Authorized Dealer.

Andrea

Henrick
07-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi Andrea,

Thank you very much for your quick answer, I gonna buy my second Domke then ;)

Streetshooter
10-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Looks like I got a fake as well from a U.K based seller,Pixlamb on E-bay but am not looking forward to wading through e-bays resolution process and might just have to take it on the chin.I have had a similar experience to an earlier poster i.e poorly stitched Velcro and a blank zip pull.It is a very good copy,but the quality of the finishing gives it away.I paid £79 for mine and I thought it was a grey import from the U.S at that price as the retail price in America is a lot less than in Europe.The guy is a business seller and has a lot of Neg. feedback for selling counterfeit gear but is still merrily knocking it out.At the time I bought it he was just starting to sell them and the only negs he had were regarding memory cards,so I thought he was a genuine reseller.

coaxord09
12-29-2009, 01:18 AM
bbtowcitnotl wrote:
people who study money counterfeited study real money rather than counterfeited money so they know a counterfeit. not the other way around.

razadaz
01-24-2010, 05:20 PM
The fake bags I have seen are visually identical apart from the zipper. It’s only with use that the lack of quality starts to show. I fear that in the future they may be all but impossible to detect and buyers of bags from non authorised dealers or buying second-hand will have to be especially wary. Unfortunately many buyers will not read this and many will be duped, probably without ever knowing. Many who have had no previous experience of Domke products will simply blame the poor durability on the Domke brand.

DennisX
02-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Looks like I got a fake as well from a U.K based seller,Pixlamb on E-bay but am not looking forward to wading through e-bays resolution process and might just have to take it on the chin.I have had a similar experience to an earlier poster i.e poorly stitched Velcro and a blank zip pull.It is a very good copy,but the quality of the finishing gives it away.I paid £79 for mine and I thought it was a grey import from the U.S at that price as the retail price in America is a lot less than in Europe.The guy is a business seller and has a lot of Neg. feedback for selling counterfeit gear but is still merrily knocking it out.At the time I bought it he was just starting to sell them and the only negs he had were regarding memory cards,so I thought he was a genuine reseller.

I'm sure you got a fake domke from him, I did so too.
On the positive side,
eventhough I immediately washed the bag once I received it.
The next day when it dried up I noticed the American flag tag that didn't look all right too me, then the flimsy zippers and closing hooks.
I contacted him and sent the bag back, and today I got a full refund (including the shipping cost except the return shipping).

Now I will buy a Domke from my reseller here in Holland.

The problem is that they give domke a bad name cause of the less quality bags.

jimford
02-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Hi I'm aware of the existence of counterfeit Domke bags and am wondering if this one is bona fide:

Ebay item no. 330400186790 (I tried pasting an Ebay link, but am not currently allowed!)

It says that it's got YKK zippers, which is stated earlier in this thread to be an indicator of authenticity, but I'm wondering. It would be easy enough for counterfeiters to start fitting YKK zips to fool potential buyers.

Opinions or experience with this seller, anyone?

Jim

Henrick
02-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Honestly, I would never buy a Domke in Asia, the chances of getting a fake is just too high. And it's not like there's no other options, even on ebay you can find good sellers who sell real Domke with no doubt ;)

2mnycars
02-25-2010, 04:18 PM
A friend brought me back a wonderful North Face Goretex jacket. Absolutely beautiful souvenir of his China trip to pick up his adopted daughter.

Then I wore it out in the rain....it leaked so badly! Obviously a knock-off.

I'm not surprised they can turn out a Domke clone.

DaveL
Toronto

razadaz
02-26-2010, 08:10 PM
The very fact that they are mentioning YKK zippers in the spec suggests they have been reading this thread.

jimford
03-03-2010, 04:52 PM
FYI, the Hong Kong (Ebay) dealer I would be more tempted to go with, if I do, is called 'hkbns' (Hong Kong Buy And Sell LTD), because I have purchased a new hand-held lightmeter through them before and it was all ok. Anyone else heard of or bought a bag through them before?

I'd be very interested in any responses to the above query.

Jim

sabesh
03-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Then you have Safrotto & Mekko, which are Domke clones, but don't label themselves as Domke.

erhein35
06-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Thank you for the advice. This will warn others to be careful in buying cheap ones.

2mnycars
06-06-2010, 09:34 PM
sabesh, I'm absolutely amazed with the knowledge and experience you have! Truly!
Have you seen my post elsewhere for a get to gether at the grill in Mississauga? June 10th at 7:00...

DaveL