PDA

View Full Version : Are video tripod heads between models/brands interchangeable?

Skipperhco
02-28-2011, 12:44 AM
I am buying a $200 Davis and Sanford video tripod. It's main drawback is its weight (over 10 lbs.). It will not be for shoots where I am moving around a lot. I want to know if I can buy another set of lighter tripod legs for more mobility, and attach the head from my other tripod to it? Are tripod heads universal between different models and even tripod brands? Would be nice to know before making

Jason Schneider
03-02-2011, 08:54 AM
The Davis & Sanford tripod you are buying for $200 has an FM-18 head, which is indeed removable and can be mounted on virtually any set of lighter weight tripod legs with a 3/8-inch fitting. However a much more economical and convenient alternative to buying a lighter set of legs and switching the head back and forth is acquiring a lighter video tripod such as the Provista GR-18 (street price about $165) which weighs 7 pounds total and comes complete with the same FM-18 head as your larger tripod. Good luck and good shooting ! Jason Schneider

davidwh
05-12-2011, 12:45 AM
love this kind of post. please keep it up.

jocvtrhythgd
04-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Are tripod heads universal between different models and even tripod brands? Would be nice to know before making

AKabanchuk
05-10-2012, 11:48 AM
which weighs 7 pounds total and comes complete with the same FM-18 head as your larger tripod. Good luck and good shooting ! Jason Schneider