PDA

View Full Version : Fake Domke Bag

Henrick
04-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Hi everybody,

I always loved the look of the Domke bags, so a few months ago I decided to buy one. I live in a region of France where it's just impossible to find a Domke dealer, so I bought one from a canadian seller on ebay called photococan (a friend bought a Lowepro bag from them and told me they were serious).

Anyway, I was wondering, since I saw on this website that there were fake Domke bags, if there was an easy way to see if my bag is a real Domke? (I don't know, the zipper (it's written YKK, a little h, USA and 5CN on one of them), some materials, a number somewhere?)

Thank you.

Regards

Arnaud
04-02-2009, 01:59 AM
If you go to Paris you can get some real ones. May be better than a fake from overseas. Espacially from Asia.
I saw a rare blue F2 in south of France a few weeks ago.

jndaneb
04-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Hi Henrick
Just so you are aware, there is a dealer in France called Prophot who sell all Domke bags. They are a 5 minute walk from Gare du Nord

Henrick
04-02-2009, 04:13 AM
Unfortunately I'm far away from Paris...

Andrea
04-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Hi Henrick,
Sorry it's been so tough to find a Domke bag. The best way to tell if a Domke bag is real are the YKK zippers.
Andrea

Henrick
04-02-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm relieved, my domke is a real one then :)

http://nsa06.casimages.com/img/2009/04/02/090402045918535339.jpg

http://nsa06.casimages.com/img/2009/04/02/090402050058889042.jpg

Thank you for your answer Andrea

Regards

Andrea
04-02-2009, 10:26 AM
We did suspect that this one was real. If this is an F-6, you should also have a tag that has TF and then a number.

Henrick
04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Yes it's an F-6, I forgot to mention it ;)

Unfortunately I cut the tags except the one that says "Made in USA"

But on what's left of it I can see the number "136058"

iandg
04-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi this seller sells real Domkes

Henrick
04-03-2009, 03:47 AM
Thank you iandg ;)

Henrick
02-08-2010, 05:02 AM
Looks real to me...

Henrick
02-08-2010, 09:41 AM
I think all Domke bags have that third tag with "TF+number". My F3-X has it and my two F-6 also had it ;)

Jon
02-09-2010, 02:02 PM
I took a gamble and finally bought an F-2 from Hong Kong Ebay dealer called 'hkbns' (Hong Kong Buy And Sell LTD). As mentioned in my earlier post, I had previously bought a light meter from them, which was fine, so I thought I'd try them again. I did it with some trepidation though, after all the reading about fakes!

Got it today (free FedEx), just gave it an initial wash, and while it hung to dry I took a few pics with the phonecam (so no critiques please;) of certain things that may or may not show it's a fake. Personally I think I got a real one, but I'd really appreciate Andrea or anyone taking a look and offering their opinion please, not just for my peace of mind but it may also help someone else.... and I like to think Tiffen are paying very close attention to all this in any case.

Like I say, the bag looks good & strong. Have to admit, the F-2 is little smaller than I thought it would be.... anyway never mind that. YKK zip is there. The flag tag is a different design to the one on my old F3-X (see earlier post pic). Came with the funny Domke luggage tag with the brassy buckle on the strap & the quick reference guide that has the same barcode info sticker that was also on the plastic bag it came in.

Aside from the main topic, I want to say the insert looks pretty disappointing, what with it's open bottom-end where the foam comes out of it so easily. It makes me seriously consider buying this thing I found on Ebay called a 'NWT BOKEH' that a Korean guy sells, looks very good to me. Well I'll see how the Domke insert goes first. Lastly, the bottom stiffener board - it was sitting in there fine when I got the bag, but despite a cold was & air dry it doesn't seem to want to go back in there so easily anymore. I'm now drying the bag inside-out in the hope that this will make it go back in easier/properly when dry.

Look forward to reading any comments. Cheers, PaulDid you use hot water when you washed it? If so, it may very well have shrunk which would account for the bottom board not wanting to fit now.

One more thing about the F-2 insert. I've just been reading Jim Domke's post where he says 'In my bag I take the foam out from one side (front side) of the insert so I can bend/fold the insert into a V or L shape when I want to put the camera with a longer lens on the body'....... does he mean he removes the foam from the insert and uses it separately, loose, in the bag? Is that why the bottom ends of the insert are not stitched up??When I pull the foam from the insert, I just leave it behind altogether.

sabesh
02-11-2010, 05:16 PM
<snip> It makes me seriously consider buying this thing I found on Ebay called a 'NWT BOKEH' that a Korean guy sells, looks very good to me <snip>
Paul, I've done some research into alternate inserts for the F-2: NWT Bokeh, Herringbone F2, Fossoux F2 and the Ciesta flexible partition (large). Of these, the 1st three are of the same design (thick padding with 6 compartments with dividers in them. The Herringbone & Fossoux versions have a lid too). The Ciesta is an outstanding insert (well padded too). I happened to meet a guy from Korea who had the Herringbone insert. However, the padding is too thick for my liking and takes up valuable space inside.

Finally, I just ordered the Korean version of the 720-250D, which is the 720-250K. Plenty of pics of it at harley-style dot com. Google for "harley-style 720-250k" and it will be the first link. The insert was just shipped and hopefully it gets here, lol. I don't read or write Korean, so I sorta winged it and bought it @ gmarket korea (It's a PITA that I can't post links here as I have less than 10 posts). Cheers.

Henrick
02-12-2010, 04:26 AM
Hi sabesh,

Where did you get your ciesta insert? I didn't find a place to order it online...

sabesh
02-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Hi sabesh,

Where did you get your ciesta insert? I didn't find a place to order it online...

Henrick,

My bad, I should have been clear: I don't have the Ciesta. But it looks like an outstanding design. This, and all other inserts I've mentioned can be purchased via Gmarket Korea: They have an "English" version of the site and accept Paypal.

If you need additional info, my email address is: flybynight at gmail dot com.

Cheers,

Sabesh.

Henrick
02-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Thank you for the tip! ;)

sabesh
02-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Thank you for the tip!

But I just checked and unfortunately it says "International Shipping Not Available" on the page of the ciesta insert :(

Henrick, some sellers don't have international shipping, some do. Keep checking different sellers of the same item. Gmarket doesn't actually sell the products. It facilitates different sellers to sell their products in a common place. Try and pick a seller with a good rating. Cheers.

Henrick
02-12-2010, 03:03 PM
I saw it a few minutes after, I edited my post thanks at the same moment you answered, 5:39 :D

sabesh
02-12-2010, 03:59 PM
I saw it a few minutes after, I edited my post thanks at the same moment you answered, 5:39 :D

If you are ordering Ciesta, make sure that you order the large version ("L"). On their website, it appears that only the large version will fit the F-2 properly. Cheers.

Henrick
02-13-2010, 04:38 AM
Actually I have a F-3X so I ordered yesterday the M version. I'll post some pics in a new thread when I'll receive it ;)

sabesh
02-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Actually I have a F-3X so I ordered yesterday the M version. I'll post some pics in a new thread when I'll receive it ;)

Looking forward to it! I'll do the same if I ever get my insert, lol.

I just looked up the dimensions of the M Ciesta. I think it might fit the F-3X:

http://ciesta.co.kr/inc/Flexible_Partition.inc

(I can finally post links, lol).

Henrick
02-13-2010, 11:14 AM
I think it might fit too...

The insert is 29cm large and the inside of my F3X something like 26cm. So the insert is a little too large but since it's "flexible" I guess (hope) it will fit in, wait & see... ;)

sabesh
02-13-2010, 12:14 PM
I think it might fit too...

The insert is 29cm large and the inside of my F3X something like 26cm. So the insert is a little too large but since it's "flexible" I guess (hope) it will fit in, wait & see... ;)

BTW, which seller did you get yours from? Here's the direct link to the insert I bought. I had to pay additional shipping as the seller claimed that it cost him more than what Gmarket estimated:

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=167401587

Thx,

Sabesh.

Henrick
02-13-2010, 12:21 PM
We're off topic :D

I answered you on the thread about inserts I juste created ;)

sabesh
02-15-2010, 07:31 AM
I bought an NWT Bokeh. A stupid ridiculous gaudy color (why not just make it bright hot red, eh??!!), but it's soft & flexible. I don't want to make a soft Domke bag go rigid. The others looked a little too rigid really, and I don't see the point of the lid. That said, the Ciesta looks fantastic, but I didn't know about it before buying - had I known I probably would've got it, made like an NWT Bokeh only better in a sensible color and with draw-string closure.
Good to hear! Please let us know your thoughts on the NWT Bokeh insert here:

http://www.tiffen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249

Thanks!

Andrea
02-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Andrea, I do not believe the tags always match the real thing, like you say, like I asked you about.... not going by another example I saw on another post here of a real fake. The general consensus was that it is a fake, you also agreed, based on it not having a YKK zip. But, just look at the US flag tag from that bag (here it is again to see), it's just visibly wrong, it looks like a kindergarten drawing. You also asked on another thread about a third tag, writing 'If this is an F-6, you should also have a tag that has TF and then a number. You made no mention to me of any third tag, stating in your email only after being asked again 'All the inside labels on the fakes have been perfect matches to our labels'. My new F-2 has a third tag (see photos). What about this third tag please? Can it be found on all models? My old old F3-X does not have it (possibly removed). Are fakes known to have it too? What does it mean? Finally, are the tags an identifying factor or not? Thank you, Paul.

Hi Paul,
Truth be told, the American flag tag is tough to tell because we don't always use the same ones. If we run out and can't get the nicer ones immediately we do not hold up production, we use different flags and they are not always that nice. There is a third tag in some bags, not in all. The F-2 and F-6 would both have the third tag, the F-3x does not. These tags almost always start with TF and have a few digits after it. I have not yet seen a fake with it. It helps us identify the date of production.

Andrea

Andrea
02-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Got it today (free FedEx), just gave it an initial wash, and while it hung to dry I took a few pics with the phonecam (so no critiques please;) of certain things that may or may not show it's a fake. Personally I think I got a real one, but I'd really appreciate Andrea or anyone taking a look and offering their opinion please, not just for my peace of mind but it may also help someone else.... and I like to think Tiffen are paying very close attention to all this in any case.

Aside from the main topic, I want to say the insert looks pretty disappointing, what with it's open bottom-end where the foam comes out of it so easily. It makes me seriously consider buying this thing I found on Ebay called a 'NWT BOKEH' that a Korean guy sells, looks very good to me. Well I'll see how the Domke insert goes first. Lastly, the bottom stiffener board - it was sitting in there fine when I got the bag, but despite a cold was & air dry it doesn't seem to want to go back in there so easily anymore. I'm now drying the bag inside-out in the hope that this will make it go back in easier/properly when dry.

Look forward to reading any comments. Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,
Looks real to me based on your photos.
The inserts are designed like that intentionally, in addition to Jim's comments about how he removes some foam to change the configuration, there is another advantage. Sometimes when you are traveling you might want to bring more gear then you might need on any given day. You can carry a much larger bag with you on the airplane and have the Domke bag when you get to your destination, because if you take all the inserts out, you will find that you could pack the bag pretty flat in your suitcase. You can also remove the foam from the dividers and pack the insert very flat too. When you arrive at your destination, you can put the insert back together, put it back into your bag.

As for your shrinking issue, cotton shrinks, but it's kind of like blue jeans, you can stretch it back out again. Just push the bottom board back inside and it will go back into shape.

Andrea

Henrick
02-16-2010, 02:57 PM
There is a third tag in some bags, not in all. The F-2 and F-6 would both have the third tag, the F-3x does not. These tags almost always start with TF and have a few digits after it. I have not yet seen a fake with it. It helps us identify the date of production.

Andrea
That's weird, my F3X, which I don't think is a fake, has that third tag with "TF4870" and "TF7440" written on it... :confused:

sabesh
02-16-2010, 03:55 PM
That's weird, my F3X, which I don't think is a fake, has that third tag with "TF4870" and "TF7440" written on it... :confused:
Same here. My F-3X Ruggedwear version has a third tag as well: "TF5059" & "TF7511". Cheers.

Andrea
02-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Sorry guys, you're right F-1X's don't have TF tags, F-3X's do. Oops. :(

Henrick
02-16-2010, 04:16 PM
No problem ;)

erwin.zeez
05-07-2010, 05:05 AM
can we start a new discussion regrading this tread in which i can participate