PDA

View Full Version : Waxing my F2 bag myself

kdrussell
04-04-2009, 10:19 AM
I wish I had purchased the F2 waxed. Is it possible to apply this ointment myself? I'm thinking about using Duck Back by Outback Trading Co. used for oilskin clothing. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Andrea
04-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Sorry, but you can't put the wax onto a regular canvas Domke bag.

kdrussell
04-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Thank you.

dafiryde
04-20-2009, 03:42 PM

may i ask why

Dave

Jon
04-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Waxed canvas isn't actually waxed, as in "rubbed with paraffin/candle wax". It's chemically impregnated. I suppose you could if you wanted to live with the smell, wait for it to all dry off after treatment and risk the solution you used causing damage to your gear. Just Google "waxed canvas".

dafiryde
04-20-2009, 11:36 PM

i googled how to wax canvas and it is possible
But don't do it, you will mess up your clothes

Dave

Andrea
04-27-2009, 08:45 AM
The wax in the cans is for refinishing only. It is a surface treatment. When we make the waxed canvas, it is run through a bath of super heated wax. The cloth is impregnated with the formula. It is almost impossible to duplicate this in a hand waxing manner. Therefore, we do not think you will get the penitration and the uniformity we get with our process.

dafiryde
04-28-2009, 12:17 AM
The wax in the cans is for refinishing only. It is a surface treatment. When we make the waxed canvas, it is run through a bath of super heated wax. The cloth is impregnated with the formula. It is almost impossible to duplicate this in a hand waxing manner. Therefore, we do not think you will get the penitration and the uniformity we get with our process.

dont mean to ask a stupid question.
but will this make a bag extreemly water proof

Dave

Andrea
04-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Yes it is.

2mnycars
01-31-2010, 08:11 PM
I have a waxed British motorcycle suit that I bought in '66. Still waterproof. It was described as thornproof when I bought it. I've ridden 450 miles in torrential rain in it and stayed dry.

A friend bought a British cheaper competitor's jacket. It discoloured his wife's coat (she was riding 2 up behind him.) Her coat could never be repaired or restored. Nasty.

DaveL

PhotoAbuse
03-17-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm getting pretty low on refinishing wax and for the life of me, I can't find it. Where would one go to order a can?

Jon
03-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Should be the same stuff (or very similar) to that used on Barbour gear; if you can find a "horsey" store, they often carry Barbour gear for riders. ISTR Orvis does as well.

PhotoAbuse
03-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Should be the same stuff (or very similar) to that used on Barbour gear; if you can find a "horsey" store, they often carry Barbour gear for riders. ISTR Orvis does as well.

Thanks Jon! That should be easy enough to find.