Tiffen Community

Tiffen Community (http://www.tiffen.com/forum/index.php)
-   On Location (http://www.tiffen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bag Selection Help (http://www.tiffen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185)

DMR79 10-13-2009 10:27 PM

Bag Selection Help

As if this is not probably the most asked question on this, or most forums, but regardless here it is. I have been looking for a great bag to carry and shoot out of and have been really impressed with the Domke bags. I am looking to carry a Nikon D3000 with the kit lenses (18-55vr and 55-200vr) plus a 35mm 1.8 prime and a flash unit (sb400/600). Along with this I will carry the essential accessories, filters 2, or 3, blower, lens pen, small cleaning cloth, extra batteies for camera (1-2) and for the flash (1 set), extra memory cards (3), trash bag rolled up for weather protection (conditions dictating). I am looking at the F-3X in olive, do you think I'm in the right size? Any Suggestions?

Also now that I have seen the Domke line I am looking for a small bag tp carry my MacBook Pro (13"), power pack, small external HD, pens, a couple of magazines and maybe a notepad, or folder) I have been looking at either the F-808, or the F-802 (really liking the 802 looks like it's thinner which I like since the MBP is so thin) Again, any suggestions, or recommendations?

Arnaud 10-14-2009 01:59 AM

Yes, F-3 is quite the good size. You can carry you smaller lens mounted face up and the bigger lens aside.

Jon 10-14-2009 11:31 AM

I agree, the F3x will do nicely for your camera and lenses. The F-802 is very good for a laptop bag, although I usually use mine to carry 2 bodies, 3 large lenses and a flash.

omigoat 10-14-2009 06:00 PM

Another thumbs up for the F-3X which would be an excellent choice for your gear. I normally shoot with a similarly proportioned selection, but in Canon, and the F-3X is a great bag to work out of.

Henrick 10-15-2009 01:46 PM

Check out the F-6. You can put about the same quantity of gear in it, and, personnaly, I prefer the shape.

DMR79 10-16-2009 09:33 PM

I took a trip to my local camera store and they actually had a F3X there, I looked at it and it was actually bigger than what I thought it would be and I really did not dig the way it is divided, it did not look like I could find anyway to use the space exactly like I wanted to. Also I'm still not sure about the lack of padding, on one hand I like how soft and moldable it makes the bag, but on the other I feel like I would at least like some level of protection. My concern with the lack of protection comes from the fact that I do not have a pro level body, or lenses and I'm sure they are a little more fragile than the ones that a photo journalist would carry as the bags are designed for. I saw a Tamrac Adventure Messenger 3 that was a great size and I really liked the divider system that it came with it was very flexible and I could see how I could use it with the camera and a lense pointing down in the center, one lense on one side with another under it and the flash on the other side. I did not like how much of a camera bag it looked like and how it bounced against my side/hip when I carried it in the store. So my question is does anyone know of a Domke bag that would be similar, I am now looking online at Domke F-8, F-5XB, any input, or suggestions as to how this would fit my equipment would be appreciated, as well as any inserts you would recommend. I would not really see myself carrying more than I originally listed, maybe even less as I learn more about photography, I'm all for carrying just what you need and nothing more when it comes to gear and I love the look and design of the Domke bags.

Arnaud 10-17-2009 03:00 AM

I have a F-4 and used it without any divider. Just the body with lens mounted and a big lens in pouch or protective wrap aside. Your gear will be enought protected.

Jon 10-19-2009 11:24 AM

You can just ignore the "divider" pockets in the main compartment. I do, and I've carried a 20D or 5D with 2-3 lenses (depending on lens size) in there with no problem and no worries. I also use it to carry a netbook when I'm flying with a large bag of gear.

omigoat 10-19-2009 02:52 PM

DMR79 - I've been carrying my gear in Domke bags for years and have never had any issues with damage due to their design or construction. This was after using more "padded" types (my closet is littered with them...) from other manufacturers, but found they were often more cumbersome to carry and work out of. Currently, I'm using decidedly "non L-Grade" (amateur) Canon equipment and my Domkes (F-2, F-3x and most recently, an F-811) still get the job done. Are they only bags I use? No. There are situations where I prefer a holster or pack type bag, but the Domkes get the majority of shoulder time. Hope you have success finding what works best for you!