Tiffen Community

Tiffen Community (http://www.tiffen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Feedback (http://www.tiffen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lens Pouches or Lens Wraps? (http://www.tiffen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22)

tresta 10-27-2008 03:11 PM

Lens Pouches or Lens Wraps?

Hi all:

I use a Canon Digital Xti and have just purchased a Domke Reporter's satchel (F-803, I think). Right now, I have two lenses (one of which is always on the camera) and a Speedlite flash.

I have two questions, I guess. First, I am wondering if I should have bought a bigger Domke bag. I have only 2 lenses now, but I know I will probably have at least 4 (including a telephoto zoom and wide angle zoom. Right now, there's plenty of room in my bag, but I'm not sure about the future.

I am willing to spend money for a high quality product, but I don't want to buy something now and outgrow it very quickly, and have to buy all over again, as my funds are limited.

That leads me to my second question, about lens protection. I bought domke inserts along with the bag, but felt frustrated with them as they didn't really fit the bag well, and my camera tended to "Stick" in the compartment I chose for it. So I decided I would either buy lens cases or wraps for the lenses not in use. This would have the added benefit of making room in the bag for more stuff, since wrappe dlenses take up less room than inserts.

Which method would be best, wraps or lens cases? What do the pros do? I am a serious amateur, but my dream (which I have begun to make real) is to be an animal and pet phtographer. At present, I shoot on location so I take my equipment with me to clients homes rather than bringing pets to a studio.

Please advise on whether I have chosen a bag that will be adequate, and whether cases or wraps would be best in this bag.

Thanks,

Tori Gregory

Andrea 10-27-2008 03:29 PM

Sorry to say, but it sounds like you will outgrow your bag based on what you are planning on buying. It's not uncommon that people own two bags though, one is more for storage and the other for working. Carrying all that gear can get heavy, so many people will have something like an F-1 or F-2 that holds everything and an F-803 for just what they need for the shoot.

As far as wraps or inserts go, we sell a lot more wraps than we do inserts.

tresta 10-27-2008 04:28 PM

One more question - Wraps or Cases?

Thank you andrea....

I was thinking along those lines, too. One bag for storage and one for working. I doubt that I"d need ALL my lenses at a pet shoot for example, but if I was shooting landscapes (my hobby) the standard lenses wouldn't be much good.

I like the satchel for working, because I like the messenger shape a lot better than the more "square" traditonal camera bag shape if I have to carry it any distance. I also LOVE the handle on top- because sometimes it's easier for me to carry the bag in my hand rather than on my shoulder all the time. I love having the option.

I would love to see a Domke bag with a zip top - no flap. That would be my dream camera bag: low profile, zip top, messenger style with no flaps to fuss with.

Thanks for your rapid reply! One question to clarify your previous answer: are lens wraps enough protection inside bag I work with? THe bags are awfully sturdy; I"m curious what the pros do!

Thanks again,

Tori

Jon 10-28-2008 10:17 AM

Which lenses do you have? And do you have a grip on the XTi? I have the F-802, the F-2 and the F-1x. I use the 720-230 insert in all of them and have no trouble carrying 2 bodies (5D and 20D without grips) and my Canon 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 IS and Sigma 15-30 along with a 580EX flash in the F-802 (all lenses with hoods). In the F-2, I can also carry the Canon 100-400 with hood and can use the 1D III (or a gripped body) and another flash; the F-1x will additionally hold another couple of (wide angle to medium tele) prime lenses and 3 flashes.

tresta 10-28-2008 11:29 AM

Cases or Wraps

Jon,

Right now I have a 28-105mm USMII, a 50mm, and a Speedlite 430 flash. When I have assembled my complete kit, I will also have a 10-20 mm Sigma wide angle lens, and another standard zoom that is 24-70mm, and a 75-300mm telephoto zoom.

Chances are for a pro kit I will also have secomd body and a second flash as backup.

What i fiigyre I would need to carry to the shoot for pet portraits: all except the tele zoom.

Tori

Jon 10-28-2008 03:34 PM

For what you have now, the F-803 or an F-3x is a nice size. If you have the F-802 (IIRC, that's the "Reporter's Satchel", the F-803 is the "Camera Satchel"), it'll have no problem handling your expected gear list. You can also attach the F-901 or F-902 pouches to the end of the satchel for additional room; I've done this with my F-802 and F-805.