Tiffen Community

Tiffen Community (http://www.tiffen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Davis & Sanford Tripods (http://www.tiffen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Do you need more than one tripod? (http://www.tiffen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30)

Jason Schneider 12-04-2008 11:07 AM

Do you need more than one tripod?

The best tripod is the one you actually take with you. The second most important consideration is stability. That's why it's best to have a sturdy travel tripod that weighs about 4 pounds or less and folds to 24 inches or less, and a larger medium-sized tripod for home/studio use that provides maximum stability and can be used with super telephoto lenses, for macro photography, etc. For point-and-shoot cameras it's also great to have a mini tripod that can be set up on a tabletop or other flat, secure surface, and will fit in a small camera bag when folded. Which one do you buy first? It depends on your shooting priorities, but I will be happy to make suggestions if you tell me your budget and use profile. Jason Schneider, Moderator:

neiltsubota 01-10-2009 10:44 PM

Carried Tripod to Volcano Flow

I had my WIFE carry my "Heavy" Tiltall Aluminum 3 section Tripod. This tripod weighs approximately 8-10 pounds with the standard head. :(

We used it for one photo of our family. :-)

This tripod withstood the temperatures below our feet and the ranger said it was hot enough to melt rubber soles on tennis shoes and beach sandals.

I am looking for one that "travels" better. I have been eyeing the Gitzo Mountainer line. I like the feature of the legs that fold backwards and pack into a backpack or domeke F2.

The price is currently too high, :eek: since I lost my "day" job, but things are looking up and I have interviews planned .

Neil

Jason Schneider 01-13-2009 09:05 AM

Sturdy affordable tripods for your tripod bearer

Kudos to your wife for carrying that heavy Tiltall! You don't have to shell out a lot of money to get a sturdy lightweight tripod that's as good or better than the Tiltall and far less costly than the Gitzo. I suggest you take a close look at the David & Sanford CarbonLite X10 ($299.98 list) and the slightly heavier aluminum Davis & Sanford Magnum X3T ($155 list) Both models are available at discount at stores such as B&H and Adorama, and will take the load off whoever is toting them while giving you a reliable, stable platform. Good shooting, and best regards, Jason Schneider

Jason Schneider 09-21-2009 11:01 AM

Sturdy lightweight tripod

Hi, I suggest you take a close look at the tripod I use, namely the Davis & Sanford Carbonlite X10 (street price: about $250. It is noticeably lighter than your Manfrotto, is very sturdy and well made, and has a 3-way head with bubble levels. It's maximum height is a tad shorter than your present 'pod, but I'm a 6-footer and it's still comfortable for eye-level viewing. A lower priced alternative is the Davis & Sanford Magnum GR (street price about $100). Why not take a look at the entire line by going to [url]www.tiffen.com[/url] and clicking on the Davis & Sanford tab. Best of luck and good shooting, Jason Schneider

EmilyPatinee 01-06-2010 11:47 PM

Lean Muscle X

I've just got a telephoto lens for my olympus e400 and now I need a new tripod as my one can't handle the extra weight, any suggestions?

Jason Schneider 01-07-2010 09:30 AM

Tripod for Olympus e400 with tele lens

Hi, I would highly recommend the Davis & Sanford Carbonlite FZ10, a very sturdy, stable tripod that is light weight (4.4 lbs.), folds to 24-1/2 inches, has 3-position angle adjustment on the legs and a unique 2-section Quick Lift center post. Other features: 3-way fluid head for stills and video, quick release, bubble level, ballast hook, grounder capability down to 11 inches, 8-layer carbon fiber and aluminum construction. The FZ10 has a load carrying capacity of 14 lbs, unusually high for a tripod in the lightweight class, so it will certainly accommodate your e400 and any telephoto lens you have in mind. Good shooting, and best of luck. Jason Schneider

Russell123 05-29-2010 05:38 AM

[QUOTE=Jason Schneider;1208]Hi, I would highly recommend the Davis & Sanford Carbonlite FZ10, a very sturdy, stable tripod that is light weight (4.4 lbs.), folds to 24-1/2 inches, has 3-position angle adjustment on the legs and a unique 2-section Quick Lift center post. Other features: 3-way fluid head for stills and video, quick release, bubble level, ballast hook, grounder capability down to 11 inches, 8-layer carbon fiber and aluminum construction. The FZ10 has a load carrying capacity of 14 lbs, unusually high for a tripod in the lightweight class, so it will certainly accommodate your e400 and any telephoto lens you have in mind. Good shooting, and best of luck. Jason Schneider[/QUOTE]

yes i agreed with you