Thread: Bag Advice
View Single Post

Bag Advice
Old 04-08-2009, 05:00 AM
Bob_McBob

Default Bag Advice

I've been asking around all over camera forums and not getting a lot of help, so I figured here might be a good place to try :)

My current bag line-up hasn't been cutting it since I purchased a 1D3 last year, and I'd like to get something new. I am sold on Domke, but I'm not sure which bag is most appropriate for the gear I want to hold. I prefer the ballistic nylon bags, so I've been trying to decide between the J-1 and J-2.

I'd like to hold a 1D mark III with 16-35/2.8 II mounted, 50/1.4, 100/2.8 macro, the option of a 70-200/2.8 IS or 100-400, and perhaps some assorted crap like flashes, filters, etc. The flashes can easily go in the side pockets, so I'm only concerned about the camera and lenses. I don't want the bag to be stuffed full, but I also don't want it to have a lot of free space to move around. The inserts on my J-803 won't hold a 70-200 with the tripod ring or (reversed) hood attached. Is the J-series insert any better in this respect? It is quite a pain to have to remove these components -- especially the hood. I would much prefer to leave the hoods (reversed) and tripod rings attached.

Unfortunately, there is nowhere local that even carries Domke products, so I am stuck buying blind on the internet. I've been looking at what reviews are available with photos, and I'm a bit concerned the J-2 will be stuffed rather tight with what I want to hold. The stuff I listed seems to fit nicely in the J-2, provided you leave the camera pointing sideways without a lens. I've seen photos of the J-2/F-2 stuffed the way the J-1 is in the photo I posted, but it seems like it doesn't really leave room for the hoods and collars. Any thoughts?

Here's how I envision packing the J-1. It's a requirement that I be able to leave the 16-35 on the camera, preferably stowed with the back up.

[IMG]http://sig.fortepianos.com/j1.jpg[/IMG]

The J-2 doesn't seem to have the space to keep a 1-series camera packed this way.

[IMG]http://sig.fortepianos.com/j2.jpg[/IMG]

I actually ordered both the J-1 and J-2 from photo-co in Quebec. They haven't been shipped yet, so it can't hurt to ask for more advice. I just don't want to spend time thinking about it anymore, since I am so busy with work and school. I'd also quite like to get a smaller bag for when I don't want to take out the big lenses (i.e. 1D3, 16-35, 50/1.4, 100/2.8). Perhaps the J-2 might be okay for that?