Go Back   Tiffen Community > Tripods > Davis & Sanford Tripods

Canon 600d and Merlin steadicam set-up
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 PM
adamph79

Default Canon 600d and Merlin steadicam set-up

I recently got a Merlin steadicam and after several hours I have given up trying to balance the camera. The Merlin cookbook stats for this camera seem wrong. For starters they have the weight listed at 580g, I weighted mine at 774g (18-55mm lens). I am desperate for help with the settings. Can someone direct me to the correct settings for this camera

Old 03-07-2012, 02:08 PM
stevesf

Sorry Buudy.
Even I'm also in need of it. If u found the method how make changes then please let me also know by posting here.
How ever Thanks for posting Query!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:23 AM
adamph79

Sent tiffen tech support an email nearly a week and a half ago about the issue....Am yet to hear from them? Are they usually that slack at responding?

Steadicam Merlin with Canon 600D
Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 AM

Default Steadicam Merlin with Canon 600D

There is a tab on the Merlin Cookbook that allows you to access user-created settings for various camera/lens combinations. These are based on actual use and often provide a helpful guide in situations where the recommended weights and set-up instructions are problematic. In the meantime, I have referred your posting to a top tech at Steadicam who will actually test your camera/lens combo on the Merlin and get back to me with hard data on what works. As soon as we receive this information we will post it immediately. We're sorry that we could not provide a quick and definitive answer for you, but we have been working on it ever since you posted the problem on the forum. I am confident we will resolve this shortly, and we appreciate your patience. Best regards, Jason Schneider

Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 AM
adamph79

Thanks for your reply Jason, I hope you have better luck than I do. I used the Merlin cookbook guide and the camera sways badly (using the "user" settings posted up there). I am looking forward to your response and the info

Old 03-12-2012, 09:21 AM

Adam, I'm going to guess that the weight in the "cookbook" is the weight of the body+battery, but not the lens. Canon specs the 600D as 515g, body only (no battery). You'd need to add the weight of whichever lens you're using to the body weight. Another thing to take note of is that the table you're looking at is the [i]user-supplied[/i] data table, not the Steadicam "official" table. You might try using the T2i settings in that table for a starter; the first table entry is for the T2i with 18-55, and the T2i body's maybe 50 g less than the T3i, so you'll be fairly close as far as weight and CG.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:17 AM
adamph79

Tried those settings and they camera sways to much left and right. I've tried trimming, weight changes, arc changes etc and I cannot get this camera to sit right. I have seen videos on the net of people using the camera and a merlin perfectly with no sway....but there is zero info on the exact settings

Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 AM
adamph79

Hi again,

Have sent you both (Peter and Jason) and email about my issue. Hope you guys can help. Hope to hear back soon as I am still without success.

Steadicam Merlin issues with Canon 600D
Old 03-14-2012, 08:44 AM

Default Steadicam Merlin issues with Canon 600D

Please e-mail me with your direct line telephone number at popeditor@hotmail.com and I will have a Steadicam expert give you a call to help you get better results. Thanks, and best regards, Jason

Old 05-13-2012, 03:32 PM
PeterAbraham

Adam,
I did indeed email you asking for you to set up a time with me to talk. It doesn't matter where on the planet you are, I can Skype call and do Merlin support visually that way.
Fair to say that with dozens of cameras, hundreds of lenses, hundreds of lens mounts, brackets, lights, audio kits and accessories, there are quite literally tens of millions of iterations of balance combinations for the Merlin.

There is one that will be right for the kit you are building. Again, email me so we can arrange to schedule a Skype conference call. We have a positive and supportive approach to every Tiffen Steadicam product we make and sell and I look forward to working with you to get to you to the point where you can fly the Merlin with your kit and get the shots you are trying to get.

Best,
Peter

Peter Abraham
Director of Technical Services, Steadicam®
GM, Steadicam Workshops Program
The Tiffen Company
90 Oser Avenue, Hauppauge NY 11788

(917) 453-1219 Office / (845) 595-2270 Fax
pabraham @ tiffen.com