Go Back   Tiffen Community > Tripods > Davis & Sanford Tripods

Do you need more than one tripod?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:07 AM

Default Do you need more than one tripod?

The best tripod is the one you actually take with you. The second most important consideration is stability. That's why it's best to have a sturdy travel tripod that weighs about 4 pounds or less and folds to 24 inches or less, and a larger medium-sized tripod for home/studio use that provides maximum stability and can be used with super telephoto lenses, for macro photography, etc. For point-and-shoot cameras it's also great to have a mini tripod that can be set up on a tabletop or other flat, secure surface, and will fit in a small camera bag when folded. Which one do you buy first? It depends on your shooting priorities, but I will be happy to make suggestions if you tell me your budget and use profile. Jason Schneider, Moderator:

Carried Tripod to Volcano Flow
Old 01-10-2009, 10:44 PM
neiltsubota

Thumbs up Carried Tripod to Volcano Flow

I had my WIFE carry my "Heavy" Tiltall Aluminum 3 section Tripod. This tripod weighs approximately 8-10 pounds with the standard head.

We used it for one photo of our family. :-)

This tripod withstood the temperatures below our feet and the ranger said it was hot enough to melt rubber soles on tennis shoes and beach sandals.

I am looking for one that "travels" better. I have been eyeing the Gitzo Mountainer line. I like the feature of the legs that fold backwards and pack into a backpack or domeke F2.

The price is currently too high, since I lost my "day" job, but things are looking up and I have interviews planned .

Neil

Sturdy affordable tripods for your tripod bearer
Old 01-13-2009, 09:05 AM

Default Sturdy affordable tripods for your tripod bearer

Kudos to your wife for carrying that heavy Tiltall! You don't have to shell out a lot of money to get a sturdy lightweight tripod that's as good or better than the Tiltall and far less costly than the Gitzo. I suggest you take a close look at the David & Sanford CarbonLite X10 ($299.98 list) and the slightly heavier aluminum Davis & Sanford Magnum X3T ($155 list) Both models are available at discount at stores such as B&H and Adorama, and will take the load off whoever is toting them while giving you a reliable, stable platform. Good shooting, and best regards, Jason Schneider

Sturdy lightweight tripod
Old 09-21-2009, 11:01 AM

Default Sturdy lightweight tripod

Hi, I suggest you take a close look at the tripod I use, namely the Davis & Sanford Carbonlite X10 (street price: about $250. It is noticeably lighter than your Manfrotto, is very sturdy and well made, and has a 3-way head with bubble levels. It's maximum height is a tad shorter than your present 'pod, but I'm a 6-footer and it's still comfortable for eye-level viewing. A lower priced alternative is the Davis & Sanford Magnum GR (street price about $100). Why not take a look at the entire line by going to [url]www.tiffen.com[/url] and clicking on the Davis & Sanford tab. Best of luck and good shooting, Jason Schneider

Lean Muscle X
Old 01-06-2010, 11:47 PM
EmilyPatinee

Default Lean Muscle X

I've just got a telephoto lens for my olympus e400 and now I need a new tripod as my one can't handle the extra weight, any suggestions?

Tripod for Olympus e400 with tele lens
Old 01-07-2010, 09:30 AM

Default Tripod for Olympus e400 with tele lens

Hi, I would highly recommend the Davis & Sanford Carbonlite FZ10, a very sturdy, stable tripod that is light weight (4.4 lbs.), folds to 24-1/2 inches, has 3-position angle adjustment on the legs and a unique 2-section Quick Lift center post. Other features: 3-way fluid head for stills and video, quick release, bubble level, ballast hook, grounder capability down to 11 inches, 8-layer carbon fiber and aluminum construction. The FZ10 has a load carrying capacity of 14 lbs, unusually high for a tripod in the lightweight class, so it will certainly accommodate your e400 and any telephoto lens you have in mind. Good shooting, and best of luck. Jason Schneider

Old 05-29-2010, 05:38 AM
Russell123

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Schneider View Post
Hi, I would highly recommend the Davis & Sanford Carbonlite FZ10, a very sturdy, stable tripod that is light weight (4.4 lbs.), folds to 24-1/2 inches, has 3-position angle adjustment on the legs and a unique 2-section Quick Lift center post. Other features: 3-way fluid head for stills and video, quick release, bubble level, ballast hook, grounder capability down to 11 inches, 8-layer carbon fiber and aluminum construction. The FZ10 has a load carrying capacity of 14 lbs, unusually high for a tripod in the lightweight class, so it will certainly accommodate your e400 and any telephoto lens you have in mind. Good shooting, and best of luck. Jason Schneider
yes i agreed with you

Last edited by Russell123; 10-29-2010 at 06:07 AM..