Go Back   Tiffen Community > Tripods > Davis & Sanford Tripods

Help understand if tripods work with camcorder and digital camera?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:00 PM
doherty

Default Help understand if tripods work with camcorder and digital camera?

I have a Canon SD450 digital camera & Sony MiniDV PC109 camcorder. Do most tripods work w/both?

I'm confused on whether tripods are generally compatible or you need to be very specific on picking a model that works with each particular device. Obviously, I'd prefer one that works with both the camera and camcorder. Ideally, I need a general answer (whether that connector on tripods are universal) and a recommendation on a specific tripod that would work on my two devices. I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Tripod mounting systems for cameras and camcorders
Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 AM

Default Tripod mounting systems for cameras and camcorders

Hi, Virtually all cameras made today, including digital SLRs and point-and-shoots as well as camcorders, are affixed to a tripod using a standard 1/4x20 tripod socket (on the camera) and screw (on the tripod). The specific camera and camcorder you mention both use this standard system, so just about any tripod can be used with either one. Our recommendation on a tripod that would be ideal for both your camera and camcorder is the sturdy, lightweight Davis & Sanford Magnum XG, which retails for about $100. It has a fluid-effect pan head that's excellent for smooth professional results when tracking moving subjects when shooting video movies, and it also works very well for taking still pictures. Good luck, and good shooting! Best regards, Jason Schneider