Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > On Location

F3-X and Inserts
Old 03-31-2009, 04:47 AM
DoctorMike

Default F3-X and Inserts

:confused: Am I being paranoid in thinking that the F3X bag needs to have padded inserts to offer sufficient protection? I used a large compartment and a 4 compartment in my old F2 and it was great to work out of and protected the gear.

I am using a D-700 and a trio of fixed focal length lenses. The lenses seem well protected in th eside compartments, but the body with lens attached feels a little vulnerable. Jim Domke seems to use his with no additional padding, and although the large insert works well, it robs the design of its elegance.

Any opinions?

What function does it have??
Old 03-31-2009, 10:01 AM

Default What function does it have??

This is where it all started. Stiff nylon padded bags are bigger because the nylon is too thin to protect equipment from rubbing together with the padding they are so stiff the gear can rattle around inside. This causes more damage, lose screws, broken lens hoods, etc.

#8 Duck canvas offers all the protection you need, it also soaks up any water droplets that sitting on the camera before they can get inside the camera or lens. it is flexible and contours to both your body and the gear, helping avoid pulling a back muscle and/or sliding off the shoulder.

When you are carrying the loaded bag the strap pulls everything together so nothing can bounce around inside. When you want to get the camera the canvas lets you get your hand in and get a good grip on the camera.

We want the bag to help organize the gear, The outside pockets protect the gear in the main compartment when you accidentally bump into a railing.

For storage you can use a suitcase, but to work out of the bag, have the gear you need with you when you see a photo, take a Domke bag.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:34 PM
omigoat

FWIW, I've never had any issues with the F3x. My gear nestles securely in their respective compartments and the canvas material provides more than adequate protection. The F3x is a really nice moderate capacity bag to work out of.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:50 AM
DoctorMike

Thanks for that. All seems well with the bag and I am a big Domke fan having used an F2 for over 12 years.

I travel light these days, but also need to carry maps, notebooks water etc.

I take both your point and Jim's that the flexibility and softness of the bag gathers everything together.

My concern was as to the protective capabilities of the canvas, especially as I find it best to locate the camera in the rear of the bag, with its back towards my body so that LCD screen and viewfinder are against the back of the bag. Two thicknesses of canvas, and whatever's in the back pocket (usually a map or note book) would seem to be enough from what you are saying.