Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > On Location

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Is the Gripper Camera Strap the best strap?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:35 PM

Default Is the Gripper Camera Strap the best strap?

With zoom lens the camera bag got lighter but the camera and lens seems to have gotten heavier and photographers are still trying to find the perfect camera strap. I certainly don’t want a strap that has the camera name printed on it!

In 1973 I met Henri Cartier-Bresson at a reception and noticed how he carried a compact Leica C with a Summilux 50mm lens, always ready to capture that “decisive moment.” No flash, no camera bag, just the camera with a normal lens. It was the smallest camera Leica made, smaller than the Leica M, with just a 1/2-inch wide leather strap and he never left home without it.

Most of the time the camera simply stayed on his shoulder, all you noticed was the black strip and when he saw something interesting, he could wrap the strap around his hand and hold it behind his back out of sight. With today’s DSLR with pop-up flash and a 24-105mm zoom lens, you can carry your camera on your shoulder like Cartier-Bresson and be ready 24/7 to take a picture of everything and anything.

However the DSLR is lot bigger, especially with the zoom lens. That’s why I like the 1-inch wide TAN (sand) web Gripper strap, which I think is less noticeable than black webbing. The 1-inch with the rubber woven into the cotton webbing is wide enough to distribute the weight of the heavier camera, but unlike leather or nylon it breaths. The Gripper strap can also easily wrap around your wrist and not call attention to the camera.

Other non-slip camera straps stick too tightly to the shoulder, making it hard to quickly slide the camera off one shoulder and over to the other side. Something I do when walking in crowds. Or, when you carry the camera under your winter coat or a rain coat, the camera strap has to slide.

Pro gear is expensive and nobody wants to worry about rivets popping, rings bending or plastic breaking. The cotton webbing on the Gripper is box-stitched around heavy metal d-rings with industrial thread and the 3/8-inch nylon webbing is bar-tacked to prevent unwanted surprises. The straps are made to last like the Domke Bag.

This is the same webbing that has been used for over 20 years on the Domke bag. Cotton webbing is better than nylon on other straps, because it is thicker and won't "cut" into the shoulder.

It’s as near perfect as a camera strap can be.:rolleyes:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gripper.jpg (92.2 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by Jim Domke; 09-11-2008 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: grammer