Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > Feedback

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Domke Ruggedwear...how rugged is it?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:18 PM
jcothron

Default Domke Ruggedwear...how rugged is it?

***I'm posting this short story hear at the suggestion that Domke may want to hear it. The full thread including responses can be found at:

[url=www.photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=835846]Thread link at POTN[/url]

[QUOTE]I'm a fully admitted skeptic of Domke bags...but that is in the past. After looking for years and deciding on something else at the last minute, I finally purchased a Domke bag about a month ago. That was an F-3x, and it became my constant companion. As far as I'm concerned, everything you read is true.. They're great to shoot out of, are comfortable, adequate protection, capable of holding significantly more than you first think. In short, I carry my camera more now.

I purchased my second Domke bag last week, the F-2 Ruggedwear. I wanted just a little more room. I'm usually carrying this thick Lee filter book (holds 10 rect. filters) and have always fought where to carry it. Amazingly, it fits in the side pocket of an F-2...tad snug but workable.

We got a rare snow in GA yesterday. Rare that it snowed at all, and rarer still that is was a very wet snow. I left the office yesterday to steal an hour to shoot some snow shots. Some of those shots are in the nature section.

I stayed outside for roughly an hour in a relatively hard snow yesterday. Several times I looked at the Domke on my side, noticing the thick layer of snow on the hood of the bag.

I brushed it off once or twice during the shoot, but had to again before getting back in the vehicle. The first image is what the bag looked like when I got in the vehicle. I had knocked the snow and as much of the water as I could off the bag before putting it in the seat.

[IMG]http://cothronphotography.smugmug.com/photos/801562227_pUyzm-L.jpg[/IMG]

The second is a shot inside the bag after I opened it to see what had gotten wet.

There was no sign of moisture in the bag at all. I felt inside the top pocket to see if I felt it there. I did not.

[IMG]http://cothronphotography.smugmug.com/photos/801562283_nHcYv-L.jpg[/IMG]

That's as bad of circumstances I'm likely to be in while carrying a shoulder bag. I had nearly stopped shooting from fear of my non weather-sealed 5D getting damaged (I had it out on the tripod). The only drop of water I saw on the inside was one that fell from my hat when I looked inside. :)

I'm sure it's not as good as a rain cover like many of the Lowepro's I've owned had, but it certainly seems to be adequate.[/QUOTE]

On another note, I'm glad I finally tried a Domke. :)

John

Last edited by jcothron; 12-01-2011 at 04:14 PM..