Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > On Location

F2: add a single compartment insert?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:44 AM
mark meeks

Default F2: add a single compartment insert?

I just bought an F-2 (sand) and so far love it. I'd like to get a single compartment insert to "fill out" the rest of the main compartment. If I move the 4 compartment insert all the way to one end, which insert to I need to get to fill in the rest of the F2?

On an unrelated note, I'm thinking about sewing on some "lash tabs" to the bottom of the back so I can strap on a tripod. Has anyone here tried that? Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

No insert needed, just keep it fluid
Old 09-25-2008, 06:41 PM

Default No insert needed, just keep it fluid

The four compartment insert is not a stationary thing, it needs to float inside the bag so you can adapt different needs on different days. So we don't want or need a one compartment insert.

In my bag I take the foam out from one side (front side) of the insert so I can bend/fold the insert into a V or L shape when I want to put the camera with a longer lens on the body. Gives me some added flexibility when I'm in a hurry to hide the camera, or simply when I come back from a long day shooting and want to store everything quickly inside the bag.

It you're worried about protection, the canvas is better protected, because it non abrasive and pulls everything tightly together. This eliminates lens shades falling off or damage when a stiff bag lets equipment bounce around inside.

It's good just the way it is.

As far as attaching a tripod, most find it makes the bag too heavy and it's easier to carry it in a separate bag. Strapping a tripod to the bottom also makes it hard to set down and you are always poking into someone.

Once upon a time we had Velcro loops sewn onto the shoulder strap to fasten a monopod, so it hung down from the shoulder and wouldn't poke anyone. It you like this idea, you can get some Velcro ties at a boat supply store and lash the monopod to the shoulder strap. Tripod is too heavy.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:32 PM
mark meeks

Hey, thanks for the response, and thanks for such a great product.

In re-reading my post, I guess I was a little unclear. I'm looking for a single padded compartment to go in [I]beside[/I] the 4 compartment insert (in the main section).

Makes sense about the tripod being too heavy. I'll scrap that idea.

Thanks again.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Andrea

Either a 720-210 Dimensions 5.75" W x 3.5" D x 8" H or a 710-211 Dimensions 5.25" W x 6" D x 8" H will fit into the F-2.

http://www.liangdianup.com/miscellaneous_1.htm
Old 12-24-2008, 02:00 AM
xiwangninpingan

Default http://www.liangdianup.com/miscellaneous_1.htm

Why would anyone need that much velcro? These guys sell it by the roll and is there
hook and look and velcro the same thing?

Old 05-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Roxie2401

[QUOTE=Andrea;26]Either a 720-210 Dimensions 5.75" W x 3.5" D x 8" H or a 710-211 Dimensions 5.25" W x 6" D x 8" H will fit into the F-2.[/QUOTE]

Just to confirm, with the F2 bag, will it accept the current 720-240 and the 720-211 (I don't think there is a 710-211)? It looks like the velcro is on the 5" side of the 211 and on the 7" side of the 240. Wouldn't that make the combination total too big for the F2 (13")? I can't tell from the photos, but does the velcro attach to the front/back of the bag? If the 240 insert had the velcro on the 6" side then the 240 + 211 inserts would total 11". Am I missing something?

I've been looking at the F2 and the F4AF and would like to put two inserts into the F2 similar to the F4 (the 211 for the D-SLR with lens) and the 4-compartment 240.

Another question, not to start another thread, if possible, but can you tell me if the 211 insert can really hold the D-SLR with zoom lens attached? The illustration in the current Domke catalog for the F-4AW shows the camera with lens sitting on its side on the bottom - but when I measure my 40D with 17-85 zoom it totals 6-1/2" (6-3/4 with UV filter) and the insert is only 6". Will the insert accept the camera and lens with the grip up (camera inserted with the left end down and grip end up)? I just can't see how the camera will fit without pushing out the side of the insert and probably pulling the insert when the camera is removed (and the catalog suggests EOS-1 + zoom, about the same dimensions as the 40D+zoom). But the catalog shows plenty of clearance inside the insert.

I don't like placing the camera in with the lens pointing down - and I think, as the catalog suggests, this is the "grab and shoot" position, rather than having to lift the camera out.....just grab the grip. Can I do this with the 211 insert?

Guess what may be a suggestion for a new insert (since D-SLRs are getting a little bigger) would be a 5x7x8 or 5x7-1/2x8 insert, similar to the 720-2JM, just without the internal adjustable partition.

(As you can tell, I'm new to this and really like the "Grab and shoot" concept suggested in the F-4 if the insert works and maybe also in the F2.)

Thanks

Last edited by Roxie2401; 05-06-2009 at 05:06 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Farff

[QUOTE=mark meeks;24]
In re-reading my post, I guess I was a little unclear. I'm looking for a single padded compartment to go in [I]beside[/I] the 4 compartment insert (in the main section).[/QUOTE]

I used to do what you're describing with my F-6. I liked that set up and it did offer a bit more protection. It also offered a sort of makeshift pocket between the single compartment insert and the standard four compartment insert. At various times, that makeshift pocket held lens cloths and tissues, a small flash, a light meter, my passport, airline tickets, etc. Of course, when I obtained a second body, the four compartment insert moved back to the middle and the single compartment insert moved to the closet.

I, too, thought about that setup with my F-2, but ultimately decided against it. I don't remember exactly why, though. I think it had to do with the D700's size with a lens attached as compared to the size of the single compartment insert.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:39 PM
natper

I use the Domke FA-211 in my F2 when I need a camera mounted to a lens along with my 4 pocket insert. it works well.

I see the digital inset is now available- anybody using this yet?