Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > Feedback

not shure which bag will
Old 11-11-2008, 10:29 PM
jktz122

Default not shure which bag will

fit my needs .. currently i have a f3x love the bag to heck .. but its kinda small and fits my needs when im out shooting small

but on occasion i need to load my quantum qflashes (big honking reflecter and bare bulb style)and it certainly wont fit in my f3x plus add the turbo batteries
and a d300 nikon and you understand why it wont fit .. so im thinking f1x or f2 or perhaps maybe even f7 i probably need something deepish .. even though i work at the photo mecca in new york <impish grin> its not easy for me to gtet to the 420 store im at a different location so i cant physicaly see the bag.. my qiestion is if any of you know the qflash and its size and would know if it fits comfortably in either the f1 or f2 or f7 bag along with a turbo (perhaps 2) a d-300 size camera with medium zoom and a sb-800 and on many events im shooting i dont feel like wheeling and dragging my rolling lowepro its a real drag and the domke bags are oh so comfortable .. the usual events i shoot are bar mitzvah and engagements and smallish weddings .. and many of my customers prefer journolistic style where i dont need to bring my entire studio lighting setups (but i still need a comfortable to carry bag ) sorry for my ramblings

p.s. any bag in your line up if it fits my needs will do .. and i only want the cotton not the ballistic (i may change my mind if the ballistic will fit my needs)
p.p.s let add 1 thing i dont want a bag tooo big just large enough to add my quantum flash to my d300 which fits just fine in the f3x .. maybe a bag that doesnt have fixed dividers similar to the way the f3x has and still a bit larger and i must have side outer pockets (the turbos and cables go there)

Last edited by jktz122; 11-11-2008 at 11:41 PM..

Change inserts can make things simple
Old 11-12-2008, 01:29 PM

Default Change inserts can make things simple

The equipment changes and do you need to change bags. I always tried to work around the bag, to avoid showing up at an event and realize the filter or data card was still in the other bag. So, my first idea is that when you add the flash it simply means that the flash replaces the camera. Nothing wrong with keeping the camera out and ready.

But, an alternative would be the F2 Original. I see taking the foam out of one side (front side) of the F24-Four Compartment Insert, so it will fold in and make room for the reflector on the Quantum. OR, maybe simply use a 2-compartment Mini insert.

The mini insert will also fit into the FX3, Super Compact if you are ever inclined to try it or fit in the Original along with the F24.

BTW, the Mini insert has it's own bottom so it can be used in any backpack or slip it inside a computer bag to help organize cords, modems, external drives, USB drives, etc.

But from what you have said I'm guessing that the perfect fit would be a F2 Original with a Mini insert. The camera and lens on one side of the insert leaves plenty of room to fit the strobe with the reflector and keep it connected to the battery in the end pocket.

Let me know how it works!:rolleyes: Bests, Jim

Old 11-12-2008, 06:05 PM
jktz122

i had a chance to check it out in the store today .. seems like the f7 is slightly taller but the f2 is slightly roomier from front to back .. i'll probably end up with the f2 .. its good to hear from the guru himself ;) after working at b&h for 14 years i remember all the notables whove ordered thru me .. i remember a "jimdomke" but it may be another photog by the same name and i remember a galen rowell unfortunatly galen died young .. p.s eventually i wil add a 2nd quantum to my smallish portable arsenal .. i forgot to ask and forgot to check in the store if the f2 or f7 has a loop or 2 for hanging mini lightstands or a tripod from them on the outside of the bag i got the bogen 001 they fold down very small and open to approxamitly 6 feet lightstand that is

Old 11-26-2008, 07:34 AM
jktz122

[QUOTE=Jim Domke;72]The equipment changes and do you need to change bags. I always tried to work around the bag, to avoid showing up at an event and realize the filter or data card was still in the other bag. So, my first idea is that when you add the flash it simply means that the flash replaces the camera. Nothing wrong with keeping the camera out and ready.

But, an alternative would be the F2 Original. I see taking the foam out of one side (front side) of the F24-Four Compartment Insert, so it will fold in and make room for the reflector on the Quantum. OR, maybe simply use a 2-compartment Mini insert.

The mini insert will also fit into the FX3, Super Compact if you are ever inclined to try it or fit in the Original along with the F24.

BTW, the Mini insert has it's own bottom so it can be used in any backpack or slip it inside a computer bag to help organize cords, modems, external drives, USB drives, etc.

But from what you have said I'm guessing that the perfect fit would be a F2 Original with a Mini insert. The camera and lens on one side of the insert leaves plenty of room to fit the strobe with the reflector and keep it connected to the battery in the end pocket. Let me know how it works!:rolleyes: Bests, Jim[/QUOTE]

i ended up buying the f2 but forgot what you wrote about the mini insert and bought the 1 compartment large ..lol i'll buy the mini inseett keep the quantum in the large compartment and put the camera where there is no compartment and maybe an extra lense or some other widget i bring in the small compartment .. its malleable enough to make room for what i need ..almost forgot les told me you will be @ b&h dec 1st if i remember i will bring one of my bags in (i also have an old fx3 a well worn one)for you to sign i work at the 440 building 1 block from the retail store

Last edited by jktz122; 11-26-2008 at 07:38 AM..

Old 01-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Arnaud

I had a F2 ballistic and now a canvas F-1.
The F-1 is not much bigger than F-2 in external size, but can hold a lot more. Courtesy of my girl friend Claire who worked on, I elected to withdraw the interior and one side of a 4 compartments insert and can perfectly protect my D3 with the 20-70 ready to go..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0168.jpg (73.8 KB, 25 views)