Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > Feedback

What happened at Photo Expo 2008 in NYC?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:59 PM
natper

Default What happened at Photo Expo 2008 in NYC?

As I am sure you are aware- Photo Expo in NYC is becoming [I]THE[/I] event for all things related to photography. I suspect it has something to do with Scott Kelby and his crew showing up- but putting aside all the high tech- there is still plenty of good old photo know how to be seen and enjoyed.

For myself, I came to see Nikon, some tripod mfgs and some dye sub printers I was interesed in. I also came to see the Domke bags!

As I approached the location of the Tiffen booth, I was bombarded with the crowded military type style of the Think Tank booth. The reps were adorned with what I first thought was ALICE harnesses but then realized they were photo gear bags and pouches. All that was missing was the camo fatigues!

As I tended my wounds, I came to the Tiffen booth. I expected it also to be crowed. I figured there must be some interest in some of the newer bags like the messenger bag or the back pack. It looked like Think Tank had declared war on it. It was deserted. Just a couple of reps standing around, grinning at the commotion coming from the Think Tank booth.

I looked for the Domke logo, Nothing. I looked for the bags. There on the floor- was a pile of Domke bags. Out of sight. Out of mind?

There was also a rack, with a bunch of bags I didnt regonize. Not a single F2 to be seen. I came to see the satchels. There were no satchels! When I asked one of your reps, an elderly gentleman, who I got the feeling wasnt a photographer, he didnt know what I was talking about. He did offer me a brochure, which he had to search for, buried in the bottom of an unpacked box.

Honestly- I felt that Domke was a dead product. I thought for a while that perhaps Jim Domke had passed away.- (Sorry Jim- Im greatly glad to see you alive and well and shooting!).

Based on what I saw there though- can you blame me???

Look- shit happens. Perhaps you guys were unprepared for the show? Perhaps Tiffen dosnt realize what Domke means to professional photography?
Im a little curious to what you have to say.

I would like to offer a suggestion. For Photo Expo 2009, have Jim Domke attend, if he is available. If you need enthusiastic and knowledgeable reps- place an ad here in the forum. I would certainly apply!

Domke bags have too much history and clout to just leave in a pile on the floor, IMHO.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Andrea

We have not participated in Photo Expo in many years. We did decided at the last minute to attend and the booth was too small for all the lines that Tiffen carries. We have a much bigger presents at CES and PMA in Las Vegas and Photokina in Germany.