Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > On Location

Attaching FA-100 Backpack strap?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Shyam

Default Attaching FA-100 Backpack strap?

Hey there.. was wondering how I should attach the fa-100 Backpack strap to my F2?
I tried attaching all the snap clips to the Steel O rings at the back of the bag, but that just tilts the back at an AWKWARD and dangerous angle when its on my back...

Attaching the shorter straps to the D rings, and attaching the longer straps to the O rings makes feel safer... but is that how its supposed to be done? (Considering that the D rings are made of plastic...)

What's the official/proper way of doing it?

Thanks..
Shyam

Old 04-15-2009, 03:33 PM

I've put a couple of mini-carabiners through the strap loops on the bag proper and clip the top (narrower webbing) straps to those. I use the O rings on the side, or lower down for the broader straps. But the F2 still, like you noted, feels awkward. On my F-1x and F7 I use the O rings at the [i]front[/i] (over the closure clips) of the bag; it hangs much more comfortably that way. On the F2, you'd need to (and maybe I'll try this) put split rings or mini-'biners through the closure slides to get a better feel. If you use the plastic slides or rings, they're likely to wear from the tongue of the clip.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Shyam

darn...
and i would have thought buying something at such a premium price with so many years of heritage behind it would have come with accessories which were much more well thought of...

Old 04-16-2009, 06:46 AM
Shyam

did the mini carabiner thing which you mentioned... works alot better...
at least the bag is still upright on my back as compared to using the O rings as that leaves the bag's opening almost facing outward with the risk of expensive gear spilling everywhere...

Bought some shoulder pads too.. just to give it some comfort and I added two 1"x0.5"x1" hard sponge chunks to the back of the bag so that there are some air gaps when the bag is on my back and i'm trekking for long distances... helps to let the perspiration dry off a bit...

Making a shoulder bag be a backpack
Old 04-16-2009, 10:36 AM

Default Making a shoulder bag be a backpack

The F2 is a shoulder bag, but it gets awfully heavy and many folks wanted to distribute the weight, or carry it while bike riding, etc. However backpacks are tall, but shoulder bags are wide.

The backpack strap clips on at the base of the shoulder strap and to the small rings in the rear. The bag is needs to ride low on the back, at ur waist.
-jgd

Old 04-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Shyam

which means the narrower part of the strap hooks to the Plastic D ring at the base of the shoulder strap right?

but that seems to wear away at the plastic D ring...
hence Jon's idea of using some mini carabiners actually prevents the Plastic D ring from getting worn off...

hahaha... and you are totally right about how heavy an f2 can get... (i guess if anyone knows this well, it would be you.. haha...)

All the lowepro/kata/tamrac bag guys always get a bit shocked at the amount of gear a humble looking f2 can carry.. haha..