Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > On Location

Wrap it up
Old 09-25-2008, 06:12 PM

Default Wrap it up

We didn’t realize what we had invented, but the little blanket with the hook fastener on each corner with soft fuzzy material held the fastener in place and made protecting a lens fast and easy.

Because photogs often had lenses rubbing against each other we called it simply the “Lens Wrap.” It was better than trying to open a cumbersome lens pouch, which often led to dropping the lens in the process, some protection! So many photogs preferred to let the lenses rub together!

To eliminate wear from lens rubbing together some photogs tried gluing the lens caps together, but matching a certain lens cap to specific lenses seemed to make things more complicated.

The 11-inch x 11-inch blanket (F34R) was a simple solution to the problem. To our surprise, not only was it good for SLR lenses, but customers started finding other uses for it.

Like wrapping view camera lens, which were still on a lens board! This led to a larger Lens Wrap, the 19-inch x 19-inch wrap (F34L) was introduced in 1985 and for the first time a large format lenses was protected.

Then I remember one day setting up at a trade show and being surprised when HP Marketing Corp Sales Director Bob Solomon showed me how he used a Lens Wrap to store all the tools he needed to assemble the shelves and install equipment.

It was time for a name change. It’s still F-34, but is these multifunctional wraps are now known as the Protective Wrap and available in several colors to help you get organized. Smooth pack cloth grey nylon on the inside with a choice of colors for the outside (Black, Gray, Red or Yellow).

They come in 3 sizes: the F34R is 11-inches x 11-inches, the F34M is 15-inches x 15-inches and the F34L is 19-inches x 19-inches. (In metric terms this around 28-cm by 28-cm, 38-cm by 38-cm and about 48-cm by 48-cm?) Note the large wraps protect anything smaller and can wrap several times around an item before fastening, so bigger is better.

Protective Wraps make great camera cases especially if you want to stuff the camera in a backpack or purse. It is good for one odd shaped item like wide-angle lenses with huge lens hoods, or it keeps many small things together, like filters and tools and lets you find things quickly.

It helps you be organized, keeping cords and equipment together like your Walkman, or iPod, or batteries, etc, etc, etc.

I think it might need another name change, maybe simply be called, [B]The Wrap[/B], it’s a blanket to cover and protect your electronic gear, and it is also an adjustable container to hold a multitude of small items tightly together. And this wraps things up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LensWrap_001.jpg (71.7 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg LensWrap_006.jpg (100.0 KB, 119 views)

Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 AM
natper

Why a new name?- I have heard and called them.......Domke wraps!

What more needs to be said!

Old 04-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Bob_McBob

I have a red wrap I've used for all sorts of stuff. It's particularly handy for protecting a small camera like a rangefinder when I want to stick it in a big bag with my main gear.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Shyam

i took out the inserts in my f2 and just use the wraps for all my gear...
awesome...

Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 PM
dafiryde

what material do you make your wraps out of

Dave

Old 04-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Andrea

tricot and nylon

Old 04-21-2009, 03:02 PM
dafiryde

[QUOTE=Andrea;597]tricot and nylon[/QUOTE]
sorry i really asked the wrong question, what i should have asked, is one wrap with your wraps , sufficient for adequate protection in the bag
the reason i ask is that i see you also market the zing
lens case, and i wondered if the zing was a better choice

Dave

Old 04-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Andrea

Yes, the Domke wraps are adequate protection.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:11 AM
dafiryde

[QUOTE=Andrea;627]Yes, the Domke wraps are adequate protection.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, i will be in the U.S for a few days next week and you are making my shopping list pretty long :D
can you say , who is your biggest supplier in Miami, Orlando area

sorry i leave on thursday, please reply. i would really like to get my Domke shopping list done early

Dave

Last edited by dafiryde; 04-28-2009 at 01:14 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Andrea

Pitman Photo in Miami is a complete, stocking Domke dealer.

Tags
f34, f34l, f34m, f34r, lenses, organize, protect, wrap, wraps