Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > On Location

Torn between F2 and J2
Old 06-13-2009, 03:40 AM
mematsu

Default Torn between F2 and J2

I like the size/shape of both. I like the idea of both materials - comfort vs. protection. I think the J2 inserts would work better for my lenses w/hoods and the side pocket inserts might be nice. Has anyone used the J2 inserts in the F2?

I have a Thinktank Speedfreak right now with a D700 and usually a Tamron 28-75 and either a Tamron 17-35 or my 80-200 Af-d. I want to add a few speedlights and triggers to the mix and the Speedfreak does not accommodate.

My head says J2, but my heart says F2.

I wish I had a local store in the area. Maybe that would help.

Can someone push me either way?

Thanks.

John

Old 06-13-2009, 07:13 PM
mematsu

I found a lightly used J2 and ordered it. I guess I'd really never know until I try it.

I'll get back and post my findings.

Thanks.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:46 PM

FWIW I find the canvas of the F2 provides ample comfort [i]and[/i] protection. My experience with ballistic nylon (no nylon Domkes I'll admit) has been that the water resistant coating inevitably chafes at the wear points and leaks. The canvas needs to become completely soaked before anything gets through it. And as far as protecting against anything else they're pretty much equal. As to the inserts, I prefer the 720-230 insert for any of my larger bags; gives me room to lay a body with long lens down at the front and the pockets are just enough bigger than the other inserts that I can fit a 24-70 or 70-200 2.8 in with the hood reversed.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:01 PM
mematsu

Thanks Jon for the insight.

I received my J2 today. [B]It is a tank[/B]. Still fairly flexible and light for the amount of padding. I think it'll serve my purpose very nicely.

Now I got my eye on an F3X. (:

Last edited by mematsu; 06-19-2009 at 04:35 PM..