Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > On Location

Any back pocket in the F7 ?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:07 AM
Arnaud

Default Any back pocket in the F7 ?

Can anyone tell me if there is a large back pocket in the F7 ?
Close by zip (like in the F1) or open ?
Thank you for any answer.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:26 PM

My biggest beef about it. No, there isn't. It's got "belt loops" instead, so you can anchor it around your waist as well as over the shoulder with the Domke belt. I'd rather have the pocket.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:43 AM
Arnaud

So Am I.
On assignment, I need that pocket all the time (press releases, K-Way, etc.), much rather than the belt.
I keep my F1x ; definitively !

Old 03-05-2009, 03:12 PM

Maybe look at the F-804 satchel? It's about as deep as the F-7. I don't recall if it's as long or not. No end pockets, but it's configured to let you add either the F-901 or F-902 pouches onto the wrap-around strap.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Arnaud

No I need a real bag.
I though F1 was too big, but in fact that's the bag of today's digital reporters.

Today's digital reporter
Old 03-06-2009, 10:46 AM

Default Today's digital reporter

I'm guessing that the F1 is more useful since the larger back pocket can store a laptop and the larger main compartment enables your to leave the zoom lens on a couple of cameras? Things we didn't do in the film days.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Arnaud

That's right.
Sure the F1 is big but not so much regarding the needs of today.
On the photo gear side - you're right - the need to keep at least the most useful couple camera/lens is evident. Even the D profesionnals Nikon models - 'tropicalized' and so much - catch dust if you dismount lens all the time (even in a clean area).
But that's not all the avantages of the F1.
If you are overseas in hard assignments (especially embedments with army in desert area) you can spent a couple of days outside, without you main travel bag (for exemple during stops with military planes or couple of days mission outside your camp). With the F1, you can put the necceseray 'living' gear (spare shirt, razor, etc.) along a book, sun glass or small lap top.
And 'in action' with digital, you don't need anymore to have a full bag aside, so the F1 can stay behind you for a while, in vehicle or tent.
I try my new one (a black canvas) in Afghanistan last year and can add that it is also very good in heavy dust conditions (and Afgha is the testbed for that !).
I spent a whole day patroling on 'Highway one' in very heavy dust (my F1 was inside an armored vehicle with open hatches) and no dust at all inside bag.
Definitively the best for me !

F1 vs F7
Old 04-23-2009, 10:51 AM
rposar

Default F1 vs F7

Since it sounds like you have experience with both of these bags, do you know if either of these bags take a pair of D3's with 70-200VR lens attached (vertically, of course)?

Old 04-23-2009, 01:59 PM

The F7 would be the one to use for that. The F1 isn't deep enough to take them vertically; you could put both of them in horizontally though. For that matter, if you don't have the D3s gripped, you could probably do fine with the F802 and 720-230 insert. I use that a lot when travelling in tight quarters. Disclaimer - I use Canon gear; the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS fits in either the F7 or F802 vertically when attached to a body up to a 5D or 1D3.

Last edited by Jon; 04-23-2009 at 02:01 PM..

F7 vs F802
Old 04-23-2009, 05:16 PM
rposar

Default F7 vs F802

It kinda sounds like the F802 is maybe an inch deeper than the F7? Does that sound right?