Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > Feedback

Reversing the strap on a F-1X?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Patrick

Default Reversing the strap on a F-1X?

I just received an F-1X, as the F-5XZ I normally use is too small to travel with.

The bag is great, but one thing that is bugging me is the gripper strap! I appreciate it's purpose, but I cannot stand it! I keep the bag behind me, and then swing it forward when I want to open it. The gripper strap makes this very awkward. On the F-5 I have simply worn the strap with the gripper strip facing out, so it is like it is not there.

But with this new F-1X, flipping the strap is not possible! The clips that hold the strap do not swivel, and the strap is folded back on itself and sewed in place. I cannot see a way to remove and flip it over. :(

I was thinking of having a friend sew it back together, if I cut the seams and reverse it, but that scares me! I guess I can just cover the gripper side with some tape??

Do you think it would be possible to cut out the rubber threads, or would that destroy the strap?

I know this seems silly, it really does appear to be a great bag otherwise. I know this is really going to bug me until I get it sorted out :p.

Thank you for any response, I think it is great you guys have the forums here, and actually respond to your customers comments!

Old 07-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Andrea

Hi Patrick,
I cut some of the gripper out of a strap and it looks a little funny and it's not very easy to do, but I also contacted the maker of the material and they will get back to me on whether or not it will hold it's structure if you do this.

On the other hand, we do make replacement straps, they don't get sewn in, just threaded through the slider and they hold fine, so you could cut it and slip it back though and if you have someone to sew it, all the better.

Also, if you want to contact me I have one other idea. You can contact me at [email]arauch@tiffen.com[/email].

Andrea

Old 07-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Andrea

Hi Patrick,
I spoke to the makers of the material and they said removing the gripper will leave a gap in the webbing but should not affect the integrity of the webbing. It takes some time, but with an exacto blade it can be removed.

Andrea

Old 07-31-2009, 10:47 AM

I can vouch for the strap holding up with the gripper material removed. My F1x is old enough that the rubber has disintegrated.

You might consider using some kind of shoulder pad; the strap doesn't grip on the leather of the Domke Post Office Pad that I recall; there are other shoulder pads that don't offer the padding of Domke's but may be even more slippery for your purposes.