Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > On Location

How to install my new lens?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Emphatic

Default How to install my new lens?

This is the first UV protector lens I've bought for my camera. I have the Canon Powershot SX10 IS, and I bought the Tiffen 58mm UV Protector. I'm not sure how to install the lens, can anyone help me with this?

Thanks! :)

Old 08-25-2009, 03:37 PM
jillconrad

The PowerShot SX10 IS does not support auxillary lenses or filters. Because of the zoom feature (when you turn your camera on) the lens will adjust outward a bit. It is this adjustment that makes it impossible to use a screw in filter and there are no supporting female threads. Canon makes a conversion lens adapter for the G10, but I'm not sure why they do not have one for this PowerShot model.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Emphatic

In that case, is it worth it to buy the adapter?

Old 09-14-2009, 10:25 AM

Lensmate Online makes a filter adapter for the SX1/SX10. It bayonets on in place of the lens hood that ships with the camera. Canon doesn't make one presumably because the extreme zoom of those two would make designing a hood that didn't vignette at the wide end, didn't keep the lens from zooming all the way to the max. telephoto setting, and could hold a filter or an auxiliary lens would have been too much of a compromise. The Lensmate adapter is strictly for filters, not wide or tele adapter lenses. If you overburden it you may snap the bayonet mounting points on the lens barrel, or worse, break the lens drive mechanisms.

Some people have attached 52 mm filters directly to the front of their SX1/SX10 lens; it's not really threaded, so essentially they use the filters to cut threads into the plastic barrel. I emphatically do [i]not[/i] recommend this. Especially over time you're likely to shred the front of the lens barrel.

How to install my new lens
Old 12-09-2009, 09:28 PM
coaxord09

Default How to install my new lens

Im new in LF and Im planning to visit beautiful Norwegian Fjords soon. Current ly I have 150 Apo-Symmar. Which lens should I add: 75 or 90mm? Thank you.