Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > Feedback

Canvas bad for digital?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:33 AM
nobbie

Default Canvas bad for digital?

So, I was in the Santa Ana Calumet over the weekend. They had two Domkes there. An F-3 and an F-2. The F-2 is smaller that I imagined it. Which is good. The salesperson there was saying "dust is death to digital" and the canvas bags make a lot of dust, so he doesn't recommend Domke for my needs. I think he was trying to push the nylon Calumet-branded bags on me, but I left. I was not impressed with their other offerings.

I don't understand how dust or lint would be any worse for a digital camera than a film camera. They both use the same optics. Except, perhaps, the sensor, which replaces film is always there and susceptible to dust build-up.

Is canvas really that bad?

Old 10-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Andrea

We use a very heavy canvas and it has very little lint and we stand behind the performance of our bags. I have never personally heard any complaints about lint problems. However, every bag manufacturer likes to make statements that back up their brand. That being said, many years ago when our competitors started telling people that nylon was the better choice, we decided rather than fight them, we would join. Therefore, you can buy an F-2 bag in Ballistic nylon. They are available where most Domke bags are sold.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:02 PM
nobbie

Thanks Andrea. I prefer the feel of the canvas and actually am awaiting the arrival of a black F-2 as per Jim's reco. I just found it odd that one Domke's retailers, as listed on this site, was telling me how bad the Domke was!:eek:

Old 01-23-2009, 10:01 PM
penguinchris

I bought my F-2 from the same Calumet in Santa Ana, actually, and I went back recently looking for the F-5XC (which I ended up ordering online because neither Calumet or Samy's had it - Samy's in-store prices are ridiculous anyway.)

The reason I'm replying though is because I must have talked to the same guy - he was absolutely convinced that canvas was terrible and recommended away from the Domke bags. It's nice he's honest about his opinion, I guess, but I agree that he's wrong and I don't understand his position. Especially since the Domkes they had were among the most expensive in the store!

I was set on the F-5 already, but I asked him what he suggested anyway and he told me he's been using the same Tamrac bag for 20 years, and that I should really be looking at the nylon Tamrac bags. So he wasn't pushing the unimpressive Calumet branded bags (which probably have a much higher profit margin,) at least. I do actually have a Tamrac bag and it's not bad - similar in concept to the Domkes (not over-padded, etc.) but not made as well or as well thought out. The newer version of the model I have has had excessive padding added, actually. In any case the point is that the guy was giving his personal, biased opinion about the bags, because he only has experience with his favorite bag of 20 years.

Anyway - I just had to chime in because I happened to talk to the same guy at Calumet. If you're in the area, Samy's has a better selection of Domke stuff, but I wouldn't buy anything from them. They jack up the prices in-store. But they're good if you want to see for yourself what a bag is like, or to bring your gear in and see what fits.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:34 AM
lohanette

Ive been using Domke bags for nearly 20 years and never had a problem with dust inside the bags.
If your worried about it get a single compartment insert for the bag and put your camera in that.
I'd personally think any cameras at more risk when in use and not in a bag.
Anyway if bag gets dusty give you a good reason to wash it and see that used look coming through.

Last edited by lohanette; 01-25-2009 at 07:36 AM..