Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > Feedback

Wax wear too waxy !
Old 04-19-2010, 02:13 AM
Recoil3d

Default Wax wear too waxy !

Hi just bought the F-3X waxwear and really find it too waxy:( ... i live in singapore so it quite hot but didnt expect the bag to be like this ... im even scared to put my lenses into the bag as now my camera's screen has a little bit of wax and its hard[really hard ,and I dont want to use solvents as it may damage the lens coating] to wipe it off even with a lens cloth:mad: any reccomendations or help ?:confused:

Old 04-19-2010, 04:22 AM
Henrick

Wow, first time I hear about that... Is your bag a real Domke, not a fake?:confused:

Old 04-19-2010, 04:51 AM
Recoil3d

Its a real Domke bought from cathay photo [one of the distro if you check tiffens website]. maybe gonna give it a wipe down today or sumthing

Old 04-19-2010, 05:38 AM
Henrick

Maybe a bad sample then... Did you show the problem to the seller where you bought your bag?

Old 04-19-2010, 05:46 AM
Recoil3d

Just to clarify its [B]NOT[/B] like that it is so waxy that you can scratch it and there will be wax under your nails . Its more like if you hold the bag you can feel a waxy feeling on your finger afterwards

Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 AM

Is it possible that the wax rubbed, rather than melted, off onto your camera's LCD? Even though you can't scrape the wax off, it still may wear off for a while after you first start using it, especially in hot climates where it can soften up. What's the typical temperature outdoors there? Somewhere around 35 C? If this were something other than the F3, I'd say to just let the inserts "collect" the wax; since that doesn't use inserts, that's not really an option.

You didn't mention the brand camera you have. Canon's LCD is actually behind a very hard (acrylic or glass depending on the model) cover that you could safely clean with very small amounts of something like "GooGone" or other citrus-based cleaner/solvent. As to your lenses, lens caps should keep anything from getting onto the glass while they're in the bag; I'd be more concerned about the wax building up on the lens barrels (or camera body) as a sticky coat and then transferring to unwanted places via your hands.

You might check with your dealer and see if the wax impregnation on your bag seems similar to that on other models of the Waxwear bags, or if other customers have encountered similar issues (and how they've dealt with them).

Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Recoil3d

Yea its more of rubbed than melted and im using a pentax k-7. it can be wiped off but its just irritating you know:mad: the bag feels slightly waxy to the touch so it didnt bother me when i was at the shop but only when i put my equipment into it then i realised what a nuisance it can be ...

Old 04-21-2010, 02:39 AM
Recoil3d

A few days use and its still quite waxy ...:( The most waxy parts are the edges of the flap and when you rub them in between your fingers it rubs off onto them and its hard to wash off... [its wax =.=] Really frustating and wished id have gotten the ballistic one ...

Old 04-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Andrea

Recoil3d,
Please contact me at [email]arauch@tiffen.com[/email]

Andrea

Old 05-17-2010, 04:43 AM
Recoil3d

... emailed but after a mth later still no response ...:mad:

Finally went to sell off the bag and bought a billingham .

A bad experience with Domke's waxwear and tiffen cus. service:mad:
I wont say Domke bags are bad , but the wax wear is real bad in hot and humid climate such as Singapore ...