Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > Feedback

Domke F-5XB "little bit bigger" much needed
Old 04-18-2010, 01:32 AM
mathomas

Default Domke F-5XB "little bit bigger" much needed

I love, love, love my F-5XB for an M system with one camera and two or three lenses. I love how narrow it is. I love leaving the flap folded back and shooting out of it (my M sits in the middle compartment, sideways, ready to grab at a moment's notice). I've been singing the F-5XB's praises in the forums, and even made a video about it for youtube (search for "domke f5xb leica" because I'm a newbie here and can't post a link).

But, as I touch on in the video, the F-5XB runs out of room when you add another M body. I realize there are bigger Domke bags, and would be very happy to buy one, but [I]the problem is they are all bigger in the wrong dimension[/I]. The F-5XC is "taller" -- doesn't solve my problem. Same with the F-802/3). The F-3X is "broader" -- also doesn't solve my problem.

The *perfect* bag for two Leica M bodies with attached lenses and a couple more lenses (a very common setup) is a four-compartment F-5XB. It really only needs to be a bit longer, maybe 3", and include an extra divider. An inch taller might help just a tad (if only for proportion), but it's not really required.

Optional, but would really put it over the top: give the front pocket a slight accordion and a velcro square, and put a slim pocket inside the flap. Due to the extra length, the bag wouldn't work as a belt pack any more, so replace that system with a back slip pocket. Instant world-killer. Seriously.

Please, please, please consider these additions and come out with a "little bit bigger" version. It would be truly awesome in waxwear!

No charge for these killer ideas. A free copy of the F-5XB "little bit bigger" would be nice, of course :).

Old 04-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Andrea

Let's see how other people feel about your request.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:14 PM
mathomas

Sounds good :)

Old 04-22-2010, 01:39 PM
zhao chen

Good idea!

Many people including me do not like the velcro. If the F-5XB gets longer, it would be nice to repale the velcro with the same metal snap hooks.

Or, if the zipper which closes the bag can be removed, the F5XB can take two camera sets easily. The zipper make the opening narrower and scratches the cameras!

The perfect F5-XB for me is the current one without zipper adn has one snap hook.:p

Made the F-5XC work...
Old 05-06-2010, 06:45 PM
mathomas

Default Made the F-5XC work...

OK, I read and considered more on the Domke F-5XC, and decided I could make it work. It is a “deep” bag, but it has a great feature: it has a bag-wide, thin, “side-entry” door along the front bottom. Honestly, when I first saw this feature I thought it was goofy. Even Domke’s own description says something like “front-entry door at bottom of bag allows you to retrieve items that have fallen to the bottom”. My original thought was "sounds like you should have a shorter bag so that items can’t 'fall to the bottom'".

However, I discovered if you set up the partitions properly, and add some additional ones, you can create a “two story” bag:

I used one of the included dividers to divide top from bottom. The top partition is for camera(s), and the bottom is for lenses. I used the remaining, articulated divider to create three “rooms” in the bottom floor for lenses. I had to use the dividers from my F-5XB to partition the top into three “rooms”. But now that’s done, it’s a very neat system. Two Ms with lenses in the top, with a nice spare partition for film, etc. Extra lenses are stored separately, on the bottom. That’s two bodies, five total lenses, a meter, lens pen, extra battery, film, etc. in this bag. Pretty good! Now that I’ve got this set up I really think it’s more versatile than the F-803. I’ll still keep the F-5XB for days when I want to go minimalist. I can move the partitions back into it very quickly.

Note that there is an F-5XZ, which has the exact same look, and is waxwear. But it DOES NOT have the bottom door, so you can’t create this system with that bag (why, Domke, why?).

Old 05-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Administrator

[QUOTE=mathomas;1605]

Note that there is an F-5XZ, which has the exact same look, and is waxwear. But it DOES NOT have the bottom door, so you can’t create this system with that bag (why, Domke, why?).[/QUOTE]

mathomas - because the combination of the bottom door and the difficulty working with the waxwear material made it a very expensive bag and we were worried about the price and the quality of the results.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:42 PM
mathomas

[QUOTE=admin;1623]mathomas - because the combination of the bottom door and the difficulty working with the waxwear material made it a very expensive bag and we were worried about the price and the quality of the results.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, thank you for the explanation! Makes sense...

Another Leica shooter responds.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 PM
keithdunlop

Default Another Leica shooter responds.

I'm a Leica shooter as well, so I might be able to provide some insight.

I complete agree that most Leica shooters would like to be able to carry two bodies with lenses attached, as well as having a padded inner pocket to store perhaps two lenses, stacked if needed. (When you spend $3K on lenses you need padded inner pockets).

I personally find the F-3x to be the perfect bag for a 2-Leica kit (for bodies WITHOUT lenses attached), but I have a gripe about the lack of a proper insert. More on that in a minute.

First, did the F-3x dimensions change at some point?? Mine only measures 7" tall (interior compartment). I see that the current dimensions on the Tiffen web site say it's 9" high, which is [I]far[/I] too tall for a rangefinder kit. 7" is just right. The other dimensions -- 9.5" wide and 6" deep is just about right. 5" deep would actually be perfect. But again, for a rangefinder kit, 9" high is far too much. If those are the current F-3x dimensions, I would NOT recommend the bag for rangefinder shooters.

These are my [I]minor[/I] gripes about my F-3x; 1. The inner sewn-in pockets on each end are a bad idea. They are not padded and have no bottom. 2. The little center divider with Velcro is far too flimsy to be of any use, and it gets detached far too easily. 3. The top cover flap is way too long (or isn't shaped right) because it creates this 2" bubble of empty space over the inner compartment when it's closed.

My perfect two-body rangefinder bag would be a slightly modified F-3x. Make it 10"w x 6"d x 7"h, remove the sewn-in canvas pockets, and include a fully padded insert that would hold two bodies with lenses attached on-end at ether end of the inner compartment, with a center section of the insert holding a couple of extra lenses stacked. Keep the outer pockets because I find those to be perfect for a few rolls of film (or a Gepe media card case), a SF-20 sized flash, notebook, pens, extra batteries, and business cards.

Call my new two-body rangefinder bag an "F-3m" for F-style bag, "M" rangefinder specific.

Keith

Old 06-04-2010, 10:26 AM
omigoat

[QUOTE]First, did the F-3x dimensions change at some point?? Mine only measures 7" tall (interior compartment). I see that the current dimensions on the Tiffen web site say it's 9" high, which is far too tall for a rangefinder kit. 7" is just right. The other dimensions -- 9.5" wide and 6" deep is just about right. 5" deep would actually be perfect. But again, for a rangefinder kit, 9" high is far too much. If those are the current F-3x dimensions, I would NOT recommend the bag for rangefinder shooters.[/QUOTE]

The F-3X's dimensions have gotten larger at some point. I've just received a new one and there's a comparison photo link on my post here:
[URL="http://www.tiffen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321"]http://www.tiffen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321[/URL]
As a dSLR user, not a problem for me, but I can see how it might be an issue for RF shooters.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:08 PM
mathomas

[QUOTE=keithdunlop;1680]I'm a Leica shooter as well, so I might be able to provide some insight.

I complete agree that most Leica shooters would like to be able to carry two bodies with lenses attached, as well as having a padded inner pocket to store perhaps two lenses, stacked if needed. (When you spend $3K on lenses you need padded inner pockets).

I personally find the F-3x to be the perfect bag for a 2-Leica kit (for bodies WITHOUT lenses attached), but I have a gripe about the lack of a proper insert. More on that in a minute.

First, did the F-3x dimensions change at some point?? Mine only measures 7" tall (interior compartment). I see that the current dimensions on the Tiffen web site say it's 9" high, which is [I]far[/I] too tall for a rangefinder kit. 7" is just right. The other dimensions -- 9.5" wide and 6" deep is just about right. 5" deep would actually be perfect. But again, for a rangefinder kit, 9" high is far too much. If those are the current F-3x dimensions, I would NOT recommend the bag for rangefinder shooters.

These are my [I]minor[/I] gripes about my F-3x; 1. The inner sewn-in pockets on each end are a bad idea. They are not padded and have no bottom. 2. The little center divider with Velcro is far too flimsy to be of any use, and it gets detached far too easily. 3. The top cover flap is way too long (or isn't shaped right) because it creates this 2" bubble of empty space over the inner compartment when it's closed.

My perfect two-body rangefinder bag would be a slightly modified F-3x. Make it 10"w x 6"d x 7"h, remove the sewn-in canvas pockets, and include a fully padded insert that would hold two bodies with lenses attached on-end at ether end of the inner compartment, with a center section of the insert holding a couple of extra lenses stacked. Keep the outer pockets because I find those to be perfect for a few rolls of film (or a Gepe media card case), a SF-20 sized flash, notebook, pens, extra batteries, and business cards.

Call my new two-body rangefinder bag an "F-3m" for F-style bag, "M" rangefinder specific.

Keith[/QUOTE]

Keith, I love your ideas. I like the [I]idea[/I] of the F-3x, with its two external pockets and more "bucket-like" design, but like you, I couldn't see it working for me with two M bodies, etc., as you've described. The F-5XC has actually been working pretty well for me, but it's a little tricky getting to the lenses in the bottom. Still, it's the best so far, IMO.