Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > On Location

Discoloration
Old 01-05-2009, 10:52 AM
minimalis

Default Discoloration

I've got a black J2 whose straps have turned brown due to prolonged exposure to sunlight. How can I get them back to black again? Is there a particular type of dye that I should use? Help!

Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Andrea

We do sell replacement straps. I've never heard of anyone doing anything to the strap to fix it any other way. I guess you could try to dye it, my concern would be that maybe the dye would come off on your clothing. You could ask the dye company. The strap is cotton webbing. Good luck. If you give it a try, let us know the outcome.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:50 PM
minimalis

[QUOTE=Andrea;200]We do sell replacement straps. I've never heard of anyone doing anything to the strap to fix it any other way. I guess you could try to dye it, my concern would be that maybe the dye would come off on your clothing. You could ask the dye company. The strap is cotton webbing. Good luck. If you give it a try, let us know the outcome.[/QUOTE]

If I were to purchase a replacement strap how do I get it looped in as I understand that it would require some stitching?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Administrator

The strap works similar to the way a camera strap works so it doesn't need to be sewn. You can have it sewn if you want. I would think any luggage or shoe repair place could do it in a minute. Or, you can smear some Elmer's glue or tape the end to keep it from future fraying.

Cotton webbing will fade while nylon hold it's color with age.

Last edited by Jim Domke; 01-07-2009 at 07:22 PM..