Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > Feedback

Please help me choose between the F-3x and F-6
Old 12-02-2008, 07:30 PM
allenrowand

Default Please help me choose between the F-3x and F-6

Hello,
I'd appreciate any help you can give me to choose a bag. After years of landscape shooting (and hauling my entire kit in a backpack) I'm branching out into travel and urban photography. I'm considering the F-3x and F-6, and am not sure which would be more appropriate. I intend to carry:
Nikon D300 w/MB-D10 battery grip with a 17-55DX or 18-200VR mounted
Tokina 12-24mm
Nikon 50mm 1.8
Tokina 100mm macro
A few filters, rocket blower, etc.
Possibly SB-600 flash

80-200mm 2.8D OR 80-400VR if there's any way (but not a necessity)

My thought was that the F-3x could easily be collapsed into my suitcase while I travel the camera rig and laptop in my backpack, then could be loaded at my destination. The F-6 gives me a bit more room (probably enough to carry one of my bigger lenses) but is based around inserts that won't collapse to be packed in my suitcase.

Any ideas?

Thank you for your time,
Allen

Old 12-03-2008, 06:13 PM

Much as I like the F-3x, unless you want to use the outside pockets for lenses, I think the F-6 would be a better choice. I'm not altogether sure, though, that it'll be deep enough to cope with an 18-200 mounted on the camera. The insert's removable and collapsible, and you can also take out its side panels, unless Domke's significantly changed how they make their inserts very recently.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 PM
allenrowand

Thanks, Jon.

The problem that I've found is that the dimensions I've gotten for the 2 bags are totally different.

The Domke brochure lists the inside dimensions of the F-3X as 9.5” W x 6” D x 9” H, while the catalog says 8.5"L x 5.5"W x 9"D. The catalog lists the F-6 at 12"L x 6"W x 7"D and the brochure says 11.25” W x 5.5” D x 7”. At this point I can't trust anything I've seen in print, so I'll have to haul my rig into NYC and brave the crowds at B&H. Should be a pleasant trip this time of year :rolleyes:

Allen

Old 12-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Andrea

Hi Allen,
Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. You are correct that the dimensions are different all over the place. I am working on fixing that, but it's going to take a bit. The correct interior dimensions on the F-3 are 9.5" W x 6" D x 9" H. The F-6 is 11.25"W x 5.5" D x 7"H. Sorry for the confusion.

Andrea

Old 12-04-2008, 10:54 AM
allenrowand

Thank you, Andrea! I'm going to head to NYC as soon as I can to try out the different bags. Too many options!

Allen

Old 12-18-2008, 10:25 AM
atow

I have been using the F-3XB as my main bag for many years now (I have the wear and tear to prove it).

Given the amount of equipment you've listed, it should all fit in the bag, but the problem is that it might become very heavy, causing you shoulder strain after a long shooting day. I would recommend getting the postman's strap regardless of which bag you choose. You may also want to consider the F-4AF; it's basically a bigger version of the F-3 and features a larger main compartment that's useful for holding cameras with the grip and lens attached.

The F-3 is very collapsible, and stuffing it in my suitcase is exactly what I do when I go on trips.

Good luck with your choice!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:15 PM
atow

I posted some photos of my F-3XB alongside an F-2B that I recently picked up. You can think of the F-6 as a shrunken-down F2 without the side pockets (a little bit shorter and narrower).

tow . com/2008/12/29/an-ode-to-the-domke-f-3xb/

In the post are links to other reviews of Domke bags.

Note: I haven't posted 10 messages yet, so I can't include actual links in my posts. Take out the spaces in the URL above to make it work.