Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > Feedback

weatherproofing a (F-6) canvas bag
Old 01-29-2009, 05:10 PM
andyt05

Default weatherproofing a (F-6) canvas bag

Hi,
Firstly, I have to say I absolutely love my Domke F-6 camera bag. It took some chasing down but it was worth the wait for it to arrive here in UK and now goes everywhere with me. So, thanks - I'm so glad I went for it!

My question is whether or not (and how) I could make my canvas bag more weatherproof. I'm not talking about trying to seal gaps/access flaps, just to treat the material to be more repellant, as inspired by the waxwear models in the Domke range.
I understand it would invalidate warranty etc, so maybe the manufacturer would be reluctant to recommend anything (unless you sell something and I've missed it?), but maybe other users have had success, either with waxoil products, or spray on water repellants, or has nobody bothered because they are fine as they are ?

Just wondering what people's thoughts were before I jump into something. My bag is out of warranty anyway, so I'm prepared to try it.

Any thoughts welcome . . . :)

Old 01-30-2009, 05:37 AM
lohanette

Hi Andy,
Im also in UK and know what your worrying about with the rain here.
I used a F2 for years with it being washed many times and I never had any problems with keeping water out.
Personally i'd leave ya bag as it it.
You could always test it by putting a empty bag in the shower.
Cold/warm water only!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Andrea

Hi Andy,
The Canvas of the Domke bag actually has a water repellent solution added to it during the dying process, therefore, lohanette is correct, it does not need to be waterproofed. However, you can use a water repellent spray if you want.

Since Domke bags are machine washable (hang dry), after several washes we even recommend that you do use a waterproof spray, as the solution can wash out after many washings.

And for the record, as far as I know, we have never voided a warranty due to someone using a water repellent spray.

reassuring words...
Old 01-30-2009, 06:00 PM
andyt05

Default reassuring words...

Hi, thanks for the replies,
my mistake re: the warranty, I know it isn't an issue for me, but others should be reassured by what you say Andrea.
Sounds like a spray could be the way to go, especially if the bags are machine washable - i hadn't realised - these sprays are often best applied to damp materials i.e. after washing.
My bag has proved extremely hard wearing and it's just getting to the point where it needs a bit of a boost. maybe a simple wash will freshen up the water repellency, if not, i'll be there, spray at the ready.

thanks again for replies - and the bag.
andy

Old 02-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Charles

Any suggestions as to what brand or type of waterproofing spray works best?

Old 02-16-2009, 03:03 PM
dafiryde

[QUOTE=Charles;318]Any suggestions as to what brand or type of waterproofing spray works best?[/QUOTE]
3m Scotch guard spray

Dave

Waterproofing
Old 02-18-2009, 03:05 PM

Default Waterproofing

The nice thing about some of those British fishing bags are how they are made from a rubber material with cotton laminated to both sides. Very waterproof.

The canvas duck gets a waterproof coating when it is dyed, but it will still absorb water to swell the cotton fibers and seal the bag. Making it naturally waterproof. Damp, but water stays out.

Waterproof spray work, but the dyed canvas won't let it penetrate into the fibers, so it rubs off in time and you will need to repeat the application.

Also a plastic trash bag makes a great rain coat for a Domke bag.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:50 AM
omigoat

For a "wash-in" water repellent product, something like Nikwax TX.Direct might do the trick. It's designed to revive the DWR (durable water repellent) coating of waterproof, breathable (i.e. Gore-Tex, eVENT, etc.) outdoor clothing. Although intended for synthetic materials, it's a water based product and should soak right into the cotton canvas fibers. Haven't tried it myself, but it's an option I'd use.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:37 AM
Shyam

i have an f2 which was left in its original state and an f1 which has been treated with scotchguard 3m.. both are almost 2 years old.. and they have both been soaked NUMEROUS times and both have similar amounts of use on them (i live in a wet tropical country...)

yet to see any difference in their water repellent abilities.... both are excellent...

On the 3m one, the water rolls of the canvas... on the untreated one, it soaks up water... but leaves the inside dry as a bone...