Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > On Location

new bag style for 2009
Old 02-14-2009, 12:08 PM
gingertwist

Default new bag style for 2009

Hi,
I have been searching for a new bag to fit my gear and love the look of the Domke bags. I have read so many great reviews about them. I am interested in the F-2 (love the chocolate one) but worry about the top flap not covering enough of the sides.

I live in B.C. Canada and can't find a place that sells them so can't actually see one.

My gear so far
Nikon D90
Nikon 18-105
Nikon 50mm 1.8
Tamron 90mm
SB-600 Speedlight Flash
misc cables, spare batteries, cleaning equip etc

Hope to add a longer zoom and wide lens in near future so would like a bag that will carry most if not all of it.

I have also read that Domke is coming out with some new bags in 2009 and wondering if it was real or rumor. Any one heard?

Thank so much

Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 AM

The top flap does overhang the sides nicely unless you stuff the bag beyond the gills. As to new bags, I don't know, but they seem to have introduced 6-8 in the last few months, so I'd hope they slow down. Personally, I thought the existing range was pretty comprehensive and there's no need to go the Crumpler route of semi-annual changes in style and name just for the sake of staying "trendy".

Old 02-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Andrea

Hi, our biggest customer in Canada is Henry's and I don't believe there is one near you. We are working this year at expanding our distribution in Canada, so hopefully that will change soon.

Also, I agree with Jon, the top flap overhangs nicely.

As for the new bags in 2009, sorry Jon, but I'm the product manager for Domke bags, so there has to be new bags, otherwise I lose my job, and in this economy that wouldn't be good. So, Gingertwist, there will be some new bags in 2009 and since you mentioned it, I'll give you a sneak preview of one.

It's a satchel that will come in 3 sizes and two materials (black canvas and black ballistic nylon). The two large ones hold a laptop in addition to camera gear. Here are two pictures of the medium. It's still in the works so there may be a few changes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg satchel 002.jpg (133.9 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg satchel 004.jpg (112.6 KB, 216 views)

Shooting in foul weather. . .
Old 02-17-2009, 12:27 PM

Default Shooting in foul weather. . .

Alot of factors come into play when designing a working bag. How water tight? If you make it tight enough to stay dry when it falls into the lake, then it will take longer to get to the flash and you miss the shot. When you are taking pictures the weather isn't that sever. If you are going down the roaring rapids, you need to put the Domke bag inside a rubber duffle bag. I've seen orange bags with flaps that roll up to seal them tight and even have backpack straps.

My favorite story is Sports Illustrated photog, Bill Eppridge, telling me how he covered the winter Olympics. He had to go in and get warm, but when he came out the camera lens would also be warm and fog up. He carried a garbage bag and put his Domke Bag inside and left it outside next to the cafe.

Eppridgee was also an inventor, and is credited for designing a "soft-shutter button" for the old mechanical Nikon F, and invented a "softer" shutter button finder for electronic cameras. He discovered the non-slip strips sold in hardware stores for stairs were perfect for feeling the shutter button. He simply uses a paper hole-punch to stamp out rough dots, then epoxies it to the slick and slippery shutter button. Now he can find the shutter button without looking, avoid missing a photo in the dark or in the winter when he is wearing gloves.

Eppridge had to invent a way to work out of his Domke Bag in foul weather, covering events when it was snowing or in pouring ran. Using a large plastic garbage bag he had cut the bottom open, then puts the Domke Bag inside and taped the bottom back together letting the shoulder strap come out at each corner. When it stops raining he wads the bag together and uses rubberbands to make a ball and stay at the base on one side of the shoulder strap.

Excellant for covering yacht races and protecting everything from salty ocean spray. He could reach under the bag and feel for what he needed, change lenses, data cards, etc and everything stays dry!

A garbage bag makes a great rain coat for your Domke bag!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:38 PM
gingertwist

Thanks so much for the info and the sneak peak. I like a shoulder bag so I think I am going to go with the canvas F2, I have admired it for so long.
Henrys in Canada is very expensive for the F2 ($230 CDN plus tax & shipping) and distributors in the U.S. are expensive for shipping to Canada. I found a place online in Montreal (Photo-co Home Clicshop) that sells your product for a good price but alas they do not sell the Chocolate color. I will keep searching but if I don't find one soon in Canada, will opt for my very close second choice Sand.
Just one more question, I just bought the Nikon 70-300 lens, can you tell if all my equipment will fit in the F2 or should I opt for the F1? I would eventually like to add the Tokina 11-16 lens to my kit and that should do it.
As I live in B.C. a distributor on the westcoast would be awesome :0)

Old 03-06-2009, 08:47 PM
dafiryde

[QUOTE=Jim Domke;334]
A garbage bag makes a great rain coat for your Domke bag![/QUOTE]

or if you were an old Lowepro fan like myself and fell in love with the Domke F-3X sand , my old lowepro Minimag AW rain cover fits the F3X like a glove

Dave

Old 03-07-2009, 02:35 AM
Arnaud

The F2 is the right choice for the gears you have listed.
The top will cover the side easily because it won't be full.

Just got my F2
Old 03-15-2009, 12:22 AM
gingertwist

Default Just got my F2

Just got my chocolate brown F2. Everything fits. I love the look and feel of it and can't wait to take it out.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:15 PM
GBULL

I am in the market for a do it all camera to carry laptop/office files, camera, & lunch box. Not sure the Domke F-804 or the new 2009 model is better for me.

I am planning to carry one camera (Leica M) with 35mm & 90MM lens & share the camera compartment with my lunch box (about 7.25" x 6").

The camera bag will be my daily carrying bag to work and does not wish to look like a "pure" camera bag.

I am in Vancouver, BC. Any hints where I can feel and touch the Domke bag locally.

Is there any target date to launch the new 2009 Domke bag?

Thanks advance for the help

Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Andrea

The new laptop/photo bags will be available in May. We are working to get them into Canadian retails this year.