Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > On Location

Domke Zippers ~ The Test of Originality
Old 06-17-2009, 11:25 PM
TOXIC

Default Domke Zippers ~ The Test of Originality

Hi Andrea,

Thankyou for your reply and for confirming the origins of my F3X. Now that you have mentioned that Domke uses the famous YKK zippers I decided to do a check of bags selling on Ebay to see what zippers are being used. Firstly though, I am now of the belief that Domke has always used YKK so I am basing my research on this fact.

There is a F3X bag for sale on Ebay currently and I emailed the seller to ask what kind of zipper was used. What got my interest is that all the Domke bags that I have seen so far in stores here in Oz have had the same color zipper as the bag. The color of the zipper on the F3X for sale is black on sand which conflicts in style. Also the reply I got from the seller was that the zipper was a MMA. Now this looks to me as being counterfeit.

This seller has two bags for sale, the F3X and a F6, both sand. I will not list the item numbers as this may contravene the forums policy but any member here can review all the Domke bags for sale on Ebay USA and check for themselves.

I hope this helps as the info supplied by Andrea of Tiffen has helped me.

Cheers
TOXIC

Last edited by TOXIC; 06-17-2009 at 11:28 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 03:51 AM
Henrick

Speaking of counterfeit, I saw on ebay the seller Chambrenoirecan in Montreal and I was wondering if it was an authorized dealer and if they sold "real" Domke bags?

Here is the link: stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Chambrenoirecan

Old 07-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Andrea

Hi Henrick,
Yes they are a U.S. Authorized Dealer.

Andrea

Old 07-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Henrick

Hi Andrea,

Thank you very much for your quick answer, I gonna buy my second Domke then ;)

Old 10-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Streetshooter

Looks like I got a fake as well from a U.K based seller,Pixlamb on E-bay but am not looking forward to wading through e-bays resolution process and might just have to take it on the chin.I have had a similar experience to an earlier poster i.e poorly stitched Velcro and a blank zip pull.It is a very good copy,but the quality of the finishing gives it away.I paid £79 for mine and I thought it was a grey import from the U.S at that price as the retail price in America is a lot less than in Europe.The guy is a business seller and has a lot of Neg. feedback for selling counterfeit gear but is still merrily knocking it out.At the time I bought it he was just starting to sell them and the only negs he had were regarding memory cards,so I thought he was a genuine reseller.

Counterfeit Domke
Old 12-29-2009, 01:18 AM
coaxord09

Default Counterfeit Domke

bbtowcitnotl wrote:
people who study money counterfeited study real money rather than counterfeited money so they know a counterfeit. not the other way around.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:20 PM
razadaz

The fake bags I have seen are visually identical apart from the zipper. It’s only with use that the lack of quality starts to show. I fear that in the future they may be all but impossible to detect and buyers of bags from non authorised dealers or buying second-hand will have to be especially wary. Unfortunately many buyers will not read this and many will be duped, probably without ever knowing. Many who have had no previous experience of Domke products will simply blame the poor durability on the Domke brand.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:10 AM
DennisX

[QUOTE=Streetshooter;1061]Looks like I got a fake as well from a U.K based seller,Pixlamb on E-bay but am not looking forward to wading through e-bays resolution process and might just have to take it on the chin.I have had a similar experience to an earlier poster i.e poorly stitched Velcro and a blank zip pull.It is a very good copy,but the quality of the finishing gives it away.I paid £79 for mine and I thought it was a grey import from the U.S at that price as the retail price in America is a lot less than in Europe.The guy is a business seller and has a lot of Neg. feedback for selling counterfeit gear but is still merrily knocking it out.At the time I bought it he was just starting to sell them and the only negs he had were regarding memory cards,so I thought he was a genuine reseller.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you got a fake domke from him, I did so too.
On the positive side,
eventhough I immediately washed the bag once I received it.
The next day when it dried up I noticed the American flag tag that didn't look all right too me, then the flimsy zippers and closing hooks.
I contacted him and sent the bag back, and today I got a full refund (including the shipping cost except the return shipping).

Now I will buy a Domke from my reseller here in Holland.

The problem is that they give domke a bad name cause of the less quality bags.

Is this one a 'baddie'?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:53 AM
jimford

Default Is this one a 'baddie'?

Hi I'm aware of the existence of counterfeit Domke bags and am wondering if this one is bona fide:

Ebay item no. 330400186790 (I tried pasting an Ebay link, but am not currently allowed!)

It says that it's got YKK zippers, which is stated earlier in this thread to be an indicator of authenticity, but I'm wondering. It would be easy enough for counterfeiters to start fitting YKK zips to fool potential buyers.

Opinions or experience with this seller, anyone?

Jim

Old 02-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Henrick

Honestly, I would never buy a Domke in Asia, the chances of getting a fake is just too high. And it's not like there's no other options, even on ebay you can find good sellers who sell real Domke with no doubt ;)