Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > On Location

The simple spring clip
Old 09-01-2008, 04:03 PM

Default The simple spring clip

All the pockets on the camera bag need to be closed so things don’t fall out accidentally, but nobody wants to spend time weaving a strap through a buckle. Thank goodness for that hook and loop tape we call “Velcro.” It is wonderful. It's the perfect fastener for all the small outside pockets, where I put my strobe and film. Film? Well, now it is data cards and a tape recorder for adding sound to slide shows. (Velcro is also great for quickly moving around the insert compartment inside the bags.)

What about sealing the large main compartment?

Velcro helps, but it isn’t that secure unless there is a large strip across the entire front of the bag. Then it would be fast and easy to seal, but it would take too much effort to open and would make a horrible “tearing” sound in the process. I needed to find another way to close the main flap on the bag that wouldn’t require using both my hands and could be done without looking.

The solution was the old-fashion metal spring clip! (see photo) With only one hand, and [B]WITHOUT LOOKING[/B], I can securely close the bag and quickly open it. Using just one hand!

One hand? That’s all I can use, with my other hand holding the camera, or lens, or flash or filter.

Unlike a zipper or a plastic clip that require 2 hands to close, the metal spring clip is quick and easy to fasten and keeps the main compartment safe from pick pockets. If I step on the clip, or slam the trunk lid on it I just bend it back.

Okay, but most of the time it takes too long to fasten spring clips. No problem, they’re there when you need them.

The Velcro along with the weight of the contents in the pocket in the flap which holds the band-aides, lens tissue, spare cords, etc. is heavy enough to keep the bag covered. If you are using an F2-Original, many photogs even clip the two spring clips together to keep them out of the way.

I’ve never had any trouble with the metal spring clip harming any gear or scratching a lens. They are handy, when I see I’m walking into a large crowd or I’m going to take a subway during rush hour, I quickly hook the spring clips onto the rings. Casually reaching down with one hand, pull clip up and over the ring. Bag's closed!

Nobody is going to reach in and get my camera, without me knowing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Simple.jpg (44.7 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by Jim Domke; 09-01-2008 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: spring clip, Velcro, close, buckle, seal, fasten, shut, open

Tags
buckle, clip, close, fasting, flap, latch, seal, velcro