Go Back   Tiffen Community > Domke Bags and Accessories > Feedback

Can I dye my sand coloured bag?
Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 AM
kissyfur

Default Can I dye my sand coloured bag?

I have a black F6 and a sand F1x. I don't use the F1x because the sand colour draws too much attention (and it's a little too big as well :o)

Can I dye it, like you can dye cotton with paint, in the washing machine? Or is canvas too dense too pick up the paint?

If it's not going to work, I hope Jim might have an idea that can help me out as well. I own 50 1.2 and 35 1.4 glas and normally use it with the hood on. They do fit nice in the insert of the F1, but the insert of the F6 seems juuuust a little bit smaller.

I tried moving the F1 insert into the F6, but it too high. Are there any f1 width but f6 height inserts available?

thanks!

Dying a Domke Bag after the fact. . .
Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 AM

Default Dying a Domke Bag after the fact. . .

Want to change Sand/Tan bags colors? Technically it can't be done, because of the waterproof and color fast treatment given to the material after it has been dyed. There is also a risk after redying that the color will rub off onto your white jeans, etc.

Two suggestions:

1.) Decorate the bag . . . be creative and sew and/or glue a swatch of some patterned material onto a section of the top flap? :rolleyes:

2.) Sell the bag on e-Bay or Craig's list.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:25 PM
kissyfur

I was afraid you were going to say that, too bad.

I guess I'll skip the sewing idea, although I do have some old pillows cases with a nice pattern that might be large enough.

Guess I could sell it, true. Do you have a suggestion on the insert question? Is there anything as high as a F6 and was wide (each 'hole') as an F1?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:19 AM
saschagabor

You could check out the SuperFlex inserts from Billingham, as none of the Domke inserts will help you in this regard.
[SIZE="1"]PS: I would take it of your hands, if the price was right[/SIZE]

Old 04-09-2009, 12:18 AM
dafiryde

[QUOTE=Jim Domke;254]Want to change Sand/Tan bags colors? Technically it can't be done, because of the waterproof and color fast treatment given to the material after it has been dyed. There is also a risk after redying that the color will rub off onto your white jeans, etc.

just before i read this article, i dyed my f3X sand to Black, came out great,
about half way into drying i stuck it into the washing machine and it came out great
it now has a rustic look , that actually makes it look at least 20 years old
after it was dried, i rubbed a white cloth very heavily, and no dye came off, i also wetted the white cloth and tested again, and still no dye rub off
so the answer to your original question, is[B][U] yes,[/U][/B]
also , good quality dyes cannot be done in a washing machine, the water has to be boiling hot, and salted

so [B][U]Jim it can technically be dyed[/U][/B], actually any cotton base material can be dyed,

Dave

Last edited by dafiryde; 04-20-2009 at 12:04 AM..

Old 04-21-2009, 10:43 AM
dafiryde

[QUOTE=dafiryde;535][QUOTE=Jim Domke;254]Want to change Sand/Tan bags colors? Technically it can't be done, because of the waterproof and color fast treatment given to the material after it has been dyed. There is also a risk after redying that the color will rub off onto your white jeans, etc.

just before i read this article, i dyed my f3X sand to Black, came out great,
about half way into drying i stuck it into the washing machine and it came out great
it now has a rustic look , that actually makes it look at least 20 years old
after it was dried, i rubbed a white cloth very heavily, and no dye came off, i also wetted the white cloth and tested again, and still no dye rub off
so the answer to your original question, is[B][U] yes,[/U][/B]
also , good quality dyes cannot be done in a washing machine, the water has to be boiling hot, and salted

so [B][U]Jim it can technically be dyed[/U][/B], actually any cotton base material can be dyed,

Dave[/QUOTE]

so what do you think

Old 04-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Andrea

I'm happy to hear it came out good. As a manufacturer it's always risky to recommend doing things like that. I might actually try it myself. I would suggest however that you spray it with a waterproof sealant because it's been through a lot and it might have been compromised.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:11 PM
dafiryde

[QUOTE=Andrea;595]I'm happy to hear it came out good. As a manufacturer it's always risky to recommend doing things like that. I might actually try it myself. I would suggest however that you spray it with a waterproof sealant because it's been through a lot and it might have been compromised.[/QUOTE]

thanks, i thought about that and emptied a tin of 3m scotch guard on it.
i will upload some pics for you to see , my experiemental results,
oh by the way, i ordered an F6 Olive before i started this Quest, just in case.

Dave

Old 04-19-2012, 04:46 PM
radeski

I thought I would resurrect this old thread in the hopes of getting more information about how I could dye my F-5XB? I would like to at least darken the sand-salmon colour a bit and make it look a little rougher :)

Any suggestions?